Fin-tech innovators are expected to bring some fire on Romanian banking market
The agility to change business processes, products and the way of communicating with customers will be crucial for the banks in the next years to stay alive, said Miodrag Mircetic, director, board member of the Asseco SEE Group, in an interview with Bancherul.ro in Bucharest, Noblesse Palace, Mai 17 2016, at the New Banking Vision Conference.
Innovative fin-tech start-ups will appear also in Romania to strongly disrupt financial market and push even more speed in banks transformation to digital, he added.
What are the new trends in digital banking, including Romanian market?
First of all, we are all witnessing a global digital transformation of the society. How we work, communicate, shop, even how we play is changing. When I see my kids at home sometimes I am scared and keep fighting big battles of taking them off from the mobile devices, but looking at the new generations that are coming, I thing it is a lost battle. On the other side, it will be very difficult even for me currently to disconnect from my mobile devices. I can not imagine my daily work without them and it is starting to be part of every person life, whatever she/he is doing. Actually this fact is changing the behavior of people in general, which affects every business, including banking.
How it is really affecting the banking business? One very obvious trend is that the way how customers today wants to consume the banking services and products is that they want to consume them online, non-stop. What is even more important today is interactions or business they are performing online.
People do not want to be bothered by the bank when they are occupied with personal things like speaking with friends, but they want to have the bank on the fingertip when they are entering a shop, for example. When they want to buy something but they need some credit arrangement, or when they are searching for holiday offers on internet, it will be convenient that the bank will offer some facility to get a credit for holiday in the moment they are searching for the vacation.
It is not enough anymore that after we finish searching for holiday we go on separate e-banking application to ask the bank for a loan. It is not good enough. The winners (in technology) will know you are searching for a holiday, know what is your position, the balance and the bank, and will offer you a loan for this trip in the moment you are booking the trip. There are millions of such scenarios, which really need to become business as usual, as today you are looking at the statement of the bank on the internet site, no need to go to the bank for this as in the past. This speed of speed of these changes and acceptance of changes is faster and faster, and this is making a huge pressure on banks to innovate and change the way they are working.
What it is also interesting is that 30 years ago some trends would come from US to Europe with a delay of 10 or more years. Then this was shortened to 5 years and now it is 5 minutes. From the first moment we heard about Uber, we had Uber in Bucuresti.
From this perspective of banks being able to keep pace with new technologies, where are the Romanian banks now?
All the banks in the world are in the same pot. There is nothing special about Romanian banks comparing to others in the region. Speaking about the readiness and capability, there are differences. First of all, there is a huge difference between market environments. US is different from Europe from legal perspective.
European financial market is more regulated than US. The type of innovations, not only in financial market, that can come from US are sometimes facing regulatory issues in Europe, and Romania is part of EU.That is one of the challenges. There is a set of laws which are currently putting setbacks and limitations to full digital transformation of Romanian financial and banking sector. Romania is currently let's say, in an equal position with other Eastern European states, so not too far away but still some legislation needs to be changed.
The other thing is capability of the banks and internal knowledge etc. Having in mind that Romanian banking market is populated by top European players, the knowledge transfers and trends dictated from the headquarters of this banks are instantly coming to local market and the local banks are competing with those international banking groups.
So we don't see that there is a lack of perception or understanding of new technologies. What we see in Romanian market is that the penetration and usage of digital services are lower than regional average. At New banking vision conference, we’ve heard from BCR that only 10 percent of the population is using even basic digital services which are offered by all Romanian banks. This is an issue for everyone, for overall community, for government, because not having the piece of digital economy is bad for overall economy in Romania.
We know that digital economies are growing faster than others, it is a fact by all statistics in the world. We also know that current statistics say one euro invested in digital economy is multiplying GDP by 9 or 10 in the developing economies. It also reduces the costs, increases efficiency of business processes etc.
People thinks that digitization will reduce the employment. On the contrary, the economies that are adopting more digitization are creating environment for new jobs, because overall economy and services are growing. So it is a challenge for the banks that requires budget, internal resources and partnerships with digital companies like Asseco or other vendors that can provide digital solutions. This technologies are not coming for free, it requires lots of investments in research and deployment.
Having in mind overall profitability of the banking industry, some of the banks are managing bigger profits and bigger budgets so they will be able to go faster in that. But we will probably see more and more of some small private initiatives even in Romania.
We are looking carefully and we believe that in all of the countries in the Balkans region, Romania is the biggest by size, except of Turkey, which means that probably in year or two some innovative fin-tech start-ups will appear to strongly disrupt financial market, and this will push even more speed in digital transformation of banks.
Will this fin-tech start-ups affect the banks or make them more willing to adopt new technologies?
There is no example of good competition destroying the business. It is reasonable to expect that they will push banks to be more pro-active, which means better services for the clients, better services for the economy. Of course, someone will lose, because there will allways be winners an losers when some disruption happens and market change. But the sector will not suffer as a hole. I am sure that many banks will be huge beneficiaries of this push and transformations.
Romanian banks are aware of this challenges for them and willing to adopt faster new technologies?
It is a different story for each bank. In general on the market, there is awareness of what is happening, that they need to jump into the trend and roll it. The differences are in the perspective: when, how fast will the change happen and how big budgets will be needed. But here are very big differences among banks.
There are banks actively searching and looking for overall digital transformation solutions, which already have active programs of digitization, which are already introducing new types of positions, like Chief Digitization Officer (CDO).
CDO is someone primarily business oriented, thinking how to use digital transformation to change the business process and the way of working with clients. There are banks in Romania that already have this position of CDO and teams that are preparing and executing some technology programs. There are also banks aware of digital challenges, but still observing and analyzing, not moving ahead.
Is this a wrong or a good strategy?
There is no answer to fit all. Always in all the trends, markets and segments you have early beginners, leaders, adopters, followers, depending on the market share, the segment a bank is operating, type of clients etc. They need to find their own way.
If you ask me of this penetration in Romania, a bank who is for example focusing specifically on private individuals in agriculture sector, jumping now in full digital will not bring much value. They need to focus on activities in other directions and only in 3 years from now digital will come on top of their agenda. But for a bank which is massive in retail, its customers segment having a decent share of young professionals, should be adopting new technologies today. So it depends on the clients, the size etc.
Also the things in technology that are now expensive for some banks, in 2-3 years will be cheaper. Some banks can afford it know, some later. At least we see that there is awareness. Maybe there are few small exceptions of banks overlooking this changes but most of them are fully awareness.
Reduced competition and no new players are affecting digital transformation in banking?
Actually we are not expecting any new comers or classical investment in the banking industry here, there are no even signs that something like that will happen.. Of course when there are no interruptions, the market will not really push towards innovation and change. But we are expecting to see some innovative fin-techs from abroad which will bring some fire to the market.
What will happen in digital banking in the near future?
I believe the most important thing that will happen will be the pace of changes increasing even more. While today we are talking about projects of 1,5-2 years, in 2 years from now we will be speaking only about initiatives in projects executable in 2 or 3 quarters. Agility of the organizations to adopt changes will be crucial in next years.
Beside the size, capital etc., agility or ability of organizations to change business processes, products and the way of communicating with customers will be crucial for the banks in the next years to stay alive. If they will not be able to transform and adapt to new processes and the new clients’ needs, they will lose clients. Studies show that loyalty of the clients is dramatically decreasing.
So we are listening this stories since already 5-6 years that client is only one click away from your bank to the competitor, but today we are seeing that as a fact, a thing that is happening. Still not in Romania and markets where only 10-20 percent of the banking clients are communicating with the bank exclusively through digital channels, but this will change very fast.
Adauga un comentariu
Adauga un comentariu folosind contul de Facebook
Alte stiri din categoria: Interviu
Banca Transilvania (BT) vrea sa investeasca in noi start-up-uri, dupa preluarea aplicatiei de plati Pago, cu scopul de a-si dezvolta oferta de servicii financiare digitale complementare celor existente in portofoliul de baza al bancii, astfel incat sa poata face fata concurentei in crestere, detalii
Preluarea de catre Banca Transilvania (BT) a bancii Victoriabank din Moldova, mai intai prin achizitia unui pachet de 39% din actiuni, care va fi urmata de o oferta publica pentru restul actiunilor, reprezinta atat o oportunitate de investitie profitabila cat si o miscare strategica de a detalii
Citi a anunțat ieri numirea lui Ivan Vrhel în poziția de director general al Citi România, care-si va pastra și responsabilitățile curente ca director al diviziei Citi Commercial Bank dedicată clienților intreprinderi mici și mijlocii. În noul său rol, Ivan detalii
Preluarea Bancpost este o tranzactie foarte profitabila pentru Banca Transilvania (BT), desi banca din Cluj nu va inregistra un castig la fel de mare ca cel de pe urma cumpararii Volksbank, in 2015, in valoare de 1,6 miliarde lei. "Un avantaj principal al achizitiei Bancpost sunt detalii
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2016
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2015
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2014
- Cota de piata a bancilor dupa active la finalul anului 2013, conform datelor BNR
- Topul bancilor cu cele mai mici comisioane la internet banking
- Jaewoo Lee, new IMF mission chief for Romania and Bulgaria
- IMF concludes article IV consultation with Romania
- IMF statement on the stability of the banking system in Ukraine
- Global House Prices: Time to Worry Again?
- FMI: Raport de asistenta tehnica - Imbunatatirea administrarii riscului de conformare pe care il prezinta marii contribuabili
- HSBC, by first direct and Bud, is trialling an open banking app model
- Probleme cu autorizarea platilor online cu carduri Mastercard si Maestro
- Sistemul informatic al Raiffeisen (carduri, ATM-uri, POS-uri, online banking) nu a functionat in aceasta dimineata
- UniCredit prepares for multinational roll-out of instant payments
- BCR: Program de lucru cu publicul, de Pasti
- Depozitele bancare nu intra in campania electorala
- FGDB explica modul de aplicare a procedurii de recapitalizare interna a unei banci cu depozitele negarantate ale clientilor (bail-in)
- Valoarea depozitelor garantate de FGDB a crescut cu 50 miliarde lei in ultimul an, la 221 miliarde lei in total
- FGDB aminteste ca toate conturile si depozitele din bancile romanesti sunt garantate in limita a 100.000 de euro
- EBA launches 2018 EU-wide stress test exercise
- Opinion on the use of innovative solutions in the customer due diligence process
- EBA Risk Dashboard
- EBA Risk Dashboard confirms steady improvements in the EU banking sector but banks profitability and business model sustainability remain key challenges
- EBA report on risks and vulnerabilities in the EU banking sector
- ECB: Insights into the digital transformation of the retail payments ecosystem
- ECB introductory statement on Governing Council decisions
- Speech by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Sustaining openness in a dynamic global economy
- Deciziile de politica monetara ale BCE
- Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Introductory statement to the press conference (with Q&A)
- Federal Reserve issues FOMC statement
- A Challenging Decade and a Question for the Future (speech by Janet Yellen, The Fed chair)
- Janet Yellen speech: Financial Stability a Decade after the Onset of the Crisis
- Janet Yellen - Semiannual Monetary Policy Report to the Congress
- Federal Reserve majoreaza din nou dobanda
- EBRD hails Moldova banking breakthrough
- Banca Transilvania and EBRD become majority shareholders of Victoriabank in Moldova
- BERD devine actionar Agricover Holding
- Life satisfaction: the pursuit of happiness - EBRD study
- EBRD is launching a new Green Economy Financing Facility in Romania
- Economistii Bancii Transilvania estimeaza decelerarea PIB-ului de la 7% in 2017 la 4,2% in 2018
- Cresterea economica este nesustenabila, avertizeaza economistii Bancii Transilvania
- Estimarile economice din Romania sunt modeste, in pofida conditiilor financiare bune (studiu GfK)
- National Bank of Romania could leave unchanged the key rate in 2017
- Poland: EU funds - key factor for growth next year
- Romania implements SME Initiative: EUR 580 m for Romanian businesses
- European Investment Bank (EIB) is lending EUR 20 million to Agricover Credit IFN
- Obligatiunile Good Pople SA (FRU21) au debutat pe piata AeRO
- BVB avertizeaza doua firme ca nu si-au respectat obligatiile de raportare
- Raiffeisen Centrobank (RCB) a lansat produse de investitii tip warrant la BVB
- BVB a initiat procesul de fuziune cu Sibex
- Directiva privind Serviciile de Plata (PSD)
- Hotararea Guvernului nr. 2/2018 pentru modificarea si completarea Hotararii Guvernului nr. 717/2009 privind aprobarea normelor de implementare a programului "Prima casa"
- Normele metodologice pentru aplicarea Ordonantei de urgenta a Guvernului nr. 193/2002 privind introducerea sistemelor moderne de plata
- Legea nr. 151 din 2015 privind procedura insolventei persoanelor fizice
- Legea nr. 258/2017 privind comparabilitatea comisioanelor aferente conturilor de plati, schimbarea conturilor de plati si accesul la conturile de plati cu servicii de baza
- Instanta constata caracterul abuziv al dobanzii variabile din contractele de credit ale BCR
- Clauze abuzive in contractele de credit ale Raiffeisen
- BCR a fost reclamata la CEDO de clientii care au pierdut procesele privind clauzele abuzive din contractele de credit
- Instanta de judecata decide executarea silita a girantului unui credit, debitorul principal fiind insolvabil
- Decizia Curtii de Apel Bucuresti de anulare a Ordinului ANPC impotriva Raiffeisen Bank privind debitarea veniturilor clientilor
- Statisticile creditelor acordate de banci populatiei (decembrie 2017)
- Statisticile creditelor acordate de banci firmelor (decembrie 2017)
- Statisticile cardurilor, platilor, POS-urilor si bancomatelor
- Creditele noi acordate de banci au scazut cu 13%
- Biroul de Credit: restantele populatiei la banci si IFN-uri sunt in crestere
- Ministerul Finantelor a imprumutat 2 miliarde euro de pe pietele internationale
- Ministerul Finantelor pregateste noi formulare de plata a CAS si CASS, in locul Declaratiei 600
- Guvernul a alocat garantii de 2 miliarde lei pentru Programul Prima Casa in 2018
- Transferul contributiilor de la angajator la angajat va avea aplicabilitate cel putin pana in anul 2020, spune Ministerul Finantelor
- Sinteza proiectului de buget pentru anul 2018 publicata de Ministerul Finantelor
- Numarul fimelor active din Romania, conform statisticilor Registrului Comertului
- Evolutia istorica a cresterii anuale a Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Evolutia istorica a valorii Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Transferurile de bani ale romanilor din strainatate au ajuns la 2,1 miliarde euro anul trecut, conform statisticilor Eurostat
- Salariul mediu net si brut lunar pe economie - evolutie istorica intre in anii 1991 - 2016, conform datelor Institutului de Statistica (INS)
Buna seara am si eu o intrebare la dumneavoastra sotul meu a avut o executare el fiind titularul ... detalii
Exista si IFN uri care fac ... detalii
poprire angajator si banca
Ciprian, daca bnca a gresit si v-a luat mai multi bani decat trebuia, atunci trebuie sa va dea ... detalii
poprier pe pe venit de la angajator si banca
multumesc dnl vasile coman , vreau sa mai mentionez ca problema a inceput anul trecut in luna iulie ... detalii
Blocare cont pensie
Vili, daca aveti o decizie judecatoreasca de suspendare a executarii silite, atunci executorul ... detalii