EBA report on risks and vulnerabilities in the EU banking sector
EBA sees a more resilient EU banking sector but challenges in NPLs, IT security and long-term profitability remain (EBA press release)
The European Banking Authority (EBA) published today its tenth report on risks and vulnerabilities in the EU banking sector.
The report is accompanied by the 2017 EU-wide transparency exercise, which provides key data in a comparable and accessible format for 132 banks across the EU. The data shows further resilience in the EU banking sector amid a benign macroeconomic and financial environment, with an additional strengthening of the capital position, an improvement of asset quality and a slight increase of profitability. However, further progress on NPLs is needed whilst the long-term sustainability of prevailing business models remains a challenge. The importance of robust data management and IT and operational resilience is also a priority.
EU banking sector solvency has continued to strengthen, albeit at a slower pace. The CET1 ratio1 stood at 14.3% as of June 2017, up by 70 bps with respect to June 2016 level. The trend is similar for the fully-loaded CET1 ratio, which reached 14%. The slight increase of capital ratios has been mainly driven by a reduction of the denominator, with banks decreasing their risk exposure amount, markedly for credit risk.
The NPL ratio of EU banks has decreased from 5.4% (as of June 2016) to 4.5%, due to the decline of NPLs, reflecting progress made by EU banks to clean-up their balance sheet. However, around one-third of EU jurisdictions have NPL ratios above 10% and the level of NPLs still remains at a very high historical level (EUR 893Bn). EU area coverage ratio increased to 45% with a high dispersion among countries. EU banks total assets decreased by 6.3% between June 2016 and June 2017. The decline has been driven by the reduction of derivatives exposures and debt securities, while banks have continued to increase loans volume.
Profitability has cautiously improved supported by the benign environment but still remains a key challenge for the EU banking sector. As of June 2017, the average return on equity (RoE) stood at 7.0%, up by 130 bps year on year, its highest level since 2014. This upward trend is mainly explained by a decrease in impairments, an increase of fees and commissions and an increase of trading profits. However, dispersion across countries is still high. The average RoE has remained below the cost of equity and many banks are still struggling to generate sufficient margins through their traditional lending activity in a context of low rate environment and flat yield curves.
Bank funding markets have been characterised by stable conditions in the first three quarters of 2017 amid low volatility. While accommodative monetary policy stances and central banks´ asset purchase programmes have supported low funding costs, overall issuance volumes of unsecured and secured debt decreased in the first three quarters of 2017 compared to 2016.
In the fast-changing environment, new and high risks have emerged, which cyber and data security among the most challenging ones for the EU banking sector. In addition, risks posed by cyberattacks, their volume and sophistication are unabatedly high. While banking operations have become increasingly dependent on IT platforms, cost pressures and operational challenges have contributed to an increasing reliance on third party service providers that a range of IT services and data are outsourced to.
The EBA has been conducting transparency exercises at EU-wide level on an annual basis since 2011. The transparency exercise is part of the EBA´s ongoing efforts to foster transparency and market discipline in the EU financial market, and complements banks´ own Pillar 3 disclosures, as laid down in the EU´s capital requirements directive (CRD). Unlike stress tests, transparency exercises are purely disclosure exercises where only bank-by-bank data are published and no shocks are applied to the actual data.
The 2017 transparency exercise covers 132 banks from 25 EEA countries, and data is disclosed at the highest level of consolidation as of December 2016 and June 2017. Similar to the Risk Assessment Report, the transparency exercise fully relies on supervisory reporting data.
Along with the dataset, the EBA also provides a wide range of interactive tools that allow users to compare and visualise data by using maps and excel spreadsheets at a country and a bank-by-bank level.
1 CET1 calculated taking in account the phasing in of CRR/CRD IV provisions during the transitional period
Source: EBA statement
Adauga un comentariu
Adauga un comentariu folosind contul de Facebook
Alte stiri din categoria: Noutati EBA
The European Banking Authority (EBA) published today a Discussion Paper on its approach to financial technology (FinTech). The EBA sets out in the Discussion Paper the results of the first EU-wide FinTech mapping exercise and its proposals for future work on FinTech.
FinTech has the detalii
The European Banking Authority (EBA) published today the Final Guidelines on major incident reporting under the revised Payment Services Directive (PSD2). The Guidelines were developed in close cooperation with the European Central Bank (ECB), are addressed to all payment services providers and detalii
EBA response to the EC Consultation Document on Fintech: a more competitive and innovative European Financial Sector
Draft EBA response to the EC Consultation Document on Fintech: a more competitive and innovative European Financial Sector Background 1. On 23 March 2017 the EC published a Consultation Document on Fintech - A more competitive and innovative European Sector. This detalii
The European Banking Authority (EBA) launched today a consultation on its draft Guidelines on security measures for operational and security risks under the revised Payment Services Directive (PSD2).
The Guidelines have been developed in close cooperation with the European Central Bank (ECB), and are in support of the objectives of PSD2, such as strengthening the integrated payments market in the EU, mitigating the increased security risks arising from electronic payments, and promoting equal conditions for competition. The consultation runs until 7 August 2017.
PSD2 requires payment service providers (PSPs) to establish a framework with appropriate mitigation measures and control mechanisms to manage operational and security risks arising from the payment services detalii
Wolfgang Schoiswohl, Vicepresedinte Executiv Corporate & Trezorerie
Consiliul de Supraveghere al BCR l-a numit pe ... vezi profil
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2016
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2015
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2014
- Cota de piata a bancilor dupa active la finalul anului 2013, conform datelor BNR
- Topul bancilor cu cele mai mici comisioane la internet banking
- Jaewoo Lee, new IMF mission chief for Romania and Bulgaria
- IMF concludes article IV consultation with Romania
- IMF statement on the stability of the banking system in Ukraine
- Global House Prices: Time to Worry Again?
- FMI: Raport de asistenta tehnica - Imbunatatirea administrarii riscului de conformare pe care il prezinta marii contribuabili
- HSBC, by first direct and Bud, is trialling an open banking app model
- Probleme cu autorizarea platilor online cu carduri Mastercard si Maestro
- Sistemul informatic al Raiffeisen (carduri, ATM-uri, POS-uri, online banking) nu a functionat in aceasta dimineata
- UniCredit prepares for multinational roll-out of instant payments
- BCR: Program de lucru cu publicul, de Pasti
- Depozitele bancare nu intra in campania electorala
- FGDB explica modul de aplicare a procedurii de recapitalizare interna a unei banci cu depozitele negarantate ale clientilor (bail-in)
- Valoarea depozitelor garantate de FGDB a crescut cu 50 miliarde lei in ultimul an, la 221 miliarde lei in total
- FGDB aminteste ca toate conturile si depozitele din bancile romanesti sunt garantate in limita a 100.000 de euro
- EBA report on risks and vulnerabilities in the EU banking sector
- EBA publishes a Discussion Paper on its approach to FinTech
- EBA publishes Final Guidelines on major incident reporting under PSD2
- EBA response to the EC Consultation Document on Fintech: a more competitive and innovative European Financial Sector
- EBA consults on Guidelines on security measures for operational and security risks under the PSD2
- ECB introductory statement on Governing Council decisions
- Speech by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Sustaining openness in a dynamic global economy
- Deciziile de politica monetara ale BCE
- Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Introductory statement to the press conference (with Q&A)
- Mario Draghi: Security through unity - making integration work for Europe
- Federal Reserve issues FOMC statement
- A Challenging Decade and a Question for the Future (speech by Janet Yellen, The Fed chair)
- Janet Yellen speech: Financial Stability a Decade after the Onset of the Crisis
- Janet Yellen - Semiannual Monetary Policy Report to the Congress
- Federal Reserve majoreaza din nou dobanda
- Banca Transilvania and EBRD become majority shareholders of Victoriabank in Moldova
- BERD devine actionar Agricover Holding
- Life satisfaction: the pursuit of happiness - EBRD study
- EBRD is launching a new Green Economy Financing Facility in Romania
- EBRD selects a company to provide a visual analytics platform
- Cresterea economica este nesustenabila, avertizeaza economistii Bancii Transilvania
- Estimarile economice din Romania sunt modeste, in pofida conditiilor financiare bune (studiu GfK)
- National Bank of Romania could leave unchanged the key rate in 2017
- Poland: EU funds - key factor for growth next year
- BNR nu va majora dobanda pana la jumatatea anului 2017, estimeaza Garanti Bank
- Romania implements SME Initiative: EUR 580 m for Romanian businesses
- European Investment Bank (EIB) is lending EUR 20 million to Agricover Credit IFN
- Obligatiunile Good Pople SA (FRU21) au debutat pe piata AeRO
- BVB avertizeaza doua firme ca nu si-au respectat obligatiile de raportare
- Raiffeisen Centrobank (RCB) a lansat produse de investitii tip warrant la BVB
- BVB a initiat procesul de fuziune cu Sibex
- Lege pentru modificarea şi completarea Ordonanţei de urgenţă a Guvernului nr. 193/2002 privind introducerea sistemelor moderne de plată
- Ordonanță de urgență pentru modificarea şi completarea Legii nr. 227/2015 privind Codul fiscal
- OUG 113/2009 privind serviciile de plata
- Regulamentul BNR nr. 20/2009 privind institutiile financiare nebancare
- Regulamentul BNR Nr. 17 din 2012 privind unele conditii de creditare
- Decizia Curtii de Apel Bucuresti de anulare a Ordinului ANPC impotriva Raiffeisen Bank privind debitarea veniturilor clientilor
- Decizia Curtii de Apel Bucuresti de suspendare a deciziei Curtii de Conturi impotriva Raiffeisen Banca pentru Locuinte
- Decizia Curtii de Apel Bucuresti in procesul privind bancile pentru locuinte dintre Ministerul Dezvoltarii si Curtea de Conturi
- Motivarea deciziei Tribunalului Bucuresti in procesul colectiv dintre Raiffeisen Bank si Piperea privind conversia la cursul istoric a creditelor in franci elvetieni (CHF)
- Raiffeisen Bank pierde un proces cu un client care a cerut darea in plata a creditului
- Creditele noi acordate de banci au scazut cu 13%
- Biroul de Credit: restantele populatiei la banci si IFN-uri sunt in crestere
- Rata creditelor neperformante scade in continuare
- Creditele noi acordate de banci au atins un nou record de crestere in august
- Lista IFN-urilor din Registrul Special al BNR
- Sinteza proiectului de buget pentru anul 2018 publicata de Ministerul Finantelor
- Posta vrea sa instaleze bancomate
- Guvernul isi majoreaza cheltuielile cu 500 milioane lei, iar veniturile cu 280 milioane lei, printr-o rectificare bugetara
- Guvernul anunta modificări ale Codului fiscal privind impozitul pentru IMM-uri, impozitul pe venit și contribuțiile sociale
- Ministerul Finantelor anunta modificari ale Codului Fiscal privind masuri importante pentru cetateni
- Evolutia istorica a cresterii anuale a Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Evolutia istorica a valorii Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Transferurile de bani ale romanilor din strainatate au ajuns la 2,1 miliarde euro anul trecut, conform statisticilor Eurostat
- Salariul mediu net si brut lunar pe economie - evolutie istorica intre in anii 1991 - 2016, conform datelor Institutului de Statistica (INS)
- Ultimele statistici privind creditele Prima Casa: crestere de 20% fata de anul trecut
Merge cu intermitente
Pe bune?? “Merge cu intermitente”? Adica asa prost ne credeti incat sa ingitim galusca cu ... detalii
Prea mulți clienți?!!!
"... banca are in continuare probleme cu sistemul informatic, pe fondul cresterii numarului de ... detalii
Ora 18.15: nu functioneaza la parametri normali!
Nu se pot efectua transferuri! Azi este zi de salariu si oamenii nu au inca banii in ... detalii
Nu merge home bank ING
Astazi nu a functionat toata ziua, si la ora 17:30 cand scriu acest mesaj nu functioneaza.La ... detalii
Home Bank nu functioneaza
Nici astazi (15.12.2017) Home Bank de la ING nu functioneaza. Vedeti detalii in primul articol de ... detalii