EBA report on risks and vulnerabilities in the EU banking sector
EBA sees a more resilient EU banking sector but challenges in NPLs, IT security and long-term profitability remain (EBA press release)
The European Banking Authority (EBA) published today its tenth report on risks and vulnerabilities in the EU banking sector.
The report is accompanied by the 2017 EU-wide transparency exercise, which provides key data in a comparable and accessible format for 132 banks across the EU. The data shows further resilience in the EU banking sector amid a benign macroeconomic and financial environment, with an additional strengthening of the capital position, an improvement of asset quality and a slight increase of profitability. However, further progress on NPLs is needed whilst the long-term sustainability of prevailing business models remains a challenge. The importance of robust data management and IT and operational resilience is also a priority.
EU banking sector solvency has continued to strengthen, albeit at a slower pace. The CET1 ratio1 stood at 14.3% as of June 2017, up by 70 bps with respect to June 2016 level. The trend is similar for the fully-loaded CET1 ratio, which reached 14%. The slight increase of capital ratios has been mainly driven by a reduction of the denominator, with banks decreasing their risk exposure amount, markedly for credit risk.
The NPL ratio of EU banks has decreased from 5.4% (as of June 2016) to 4.5%, due to the decline of NPLs, reflecting progress made by EU banks to clean-up their balance sheet. However, around one-third of EU jurisdictions have NPL ratios above 10% and the level of NPLs still remains at a very high historical level (EUR 893Bn). EU area coverage ratio increased to 45% with a high dispersion among countries. EU banks total assets decreased by 6.3% between June 2016 and June 2017. The decline has been driven by the reduction of derivatives exposures and debt securities, while banks have continued to increase loans volume.
Profitability has cautiously improved supported by the benign environment but still remains a key challenge for the EU banking sector. As of June 2017, the average return on equity (RoE) stood at 7.0%, up by 130 bps year on year, its highest level since 2014. This upward trend is mainly explained by a decrease in impairments, an increase of fees and commissions and an increase of trading profits. However, dispersion across countries is still high. The average RoE has remained below the cost of equity and many banks are still struggling to generate sufficient margins through their traditional lending activity in a context of low rate environment and flat yield curves.
Bank funding markets have been characterised by stable conditions in the first three quarters of 2017 amid low volatility. While accommodative monetary policy stances and central banks´ asset purchase programmes have supported low funding costs, overall issuance volumes of unsecured and secured debt decreased in the first three quarters of 2017 compared to 2016.
In the fast-changing environment, new and high risks have emerged, which cyber and data security among the most challenging ones for the EU banking sector. In addition, risks posed by cyberattacks, their volume and sophistication are unabatedly high. While banking operations have become increasingly dependent on IT platforms, cost pressures and operational challenges have contributed to an increasing reliance on third party service providers that a range of IT services and data are outsourced to.
The EBA has been conducting transparency exercises at EU-wide level on an annual basis since 2011. The transparency exercise is part of the EBA´s ongoing efforts to foster transparency and market discipline in the EU financial market, and complements banks´ own Pillar 3 disclosures, as laid down in the EU´s capital requirements directive (CRD). Unlike stress tests, transparency exercises are purely disclosure exercises where only bank-by-bank data are published and no shocks are applied to the actual data.
The 2017 transparency exercise covers 132 banks from 25 EEA countries, and data is disclosed at the highest level of consolidation as of December 2016 and June 2017. Similar to the Risk Assessment Report, the transparency exercise fully relies on supervisory reporting data.
Along with the dataset, the EBA also provides a wide range of interactive tools that allow users to compare and visualise data by using maps and excel spreadsheets at a country and a bank-by-bank level.
1 CET1 calculated taking in account the phasing in of CRR/CRD IV provisions during the transitional period
Source: EBA statement
Adauga un comentariu
Adauga un comentariu folosind contul de Facebook
Alte stiri din categoria: Noutati EBA
The Joint Committee of the three European Supervisory Authorities (EBA, EIOPA and ESMA - ESAs) published today an Opinion on the use of innovative solutions by credit and financial institutions when complying with their customer due diligence (CDD) obligations. This Opinion is part of detalii
EU banks continued to strengthen their capital ratios in the third quarter of 2017, according to EBA Risk Dashboard. The CET1 ratio increased by 30 bps, from 14.3% in Q2 2017 to 14.6% in Q3 2017, reaching a new peak since Q4 2014. This growth was driven by an increase of detalii
EBA Risk Dashboard confirms steady improvements in the EU banking sector but banks profitability and business model sustainability remain key challenges
The European Banking Authority (EBA) published today its regular Risk Dashboard. Using quantitative risk indicators, along with the opinions of banks and market analysts from its Risk Assessment Questionnaire, the EBA´s dashboard identified ongoing improvements in the repair of the EU detalii
EBA sees a more resilient EU banking sector but challenges in NPLs, IT security and long-term profitability remain (EBA press release) The European Banking Authority (EBA) published today its tenth report on risks and vulnerabilities in the EU banking sector. The detalii
Dana DEMETRIAN, Vicepresedinte Executiv Retail si Private Banking, Membru al Comitetului Executiv
Date personale Naţionalitate: ... vezi profil
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2016
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2015
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2014
- Cota de piata a bancilor dupa active la finalul anului 2013, conform datelor BNR
- Topul bancilor cu cele mai mici comisioane la internet banking
- Bancile se declara "profund ingrijorate de consecintele negative ale proiectelor de lege privind sectorul financiar-bancar"
- BNR, despre plafonarea dobanzilor: este absolut necesar ca orice masuri de reglementare sa se realizeze cat mai echilibrat
- Numarul restantierilor din Biroul de Credit urca la cel mai ridicat nivel din ultimele sase luni
- Cate credite noi in euro au acordat bancile in 2017
- Statisticile creditelor acordate de banci populatiei (decembrie 2017)
- Statisticile creditelor acordate de banci firmelor (decembrie 2017)
- Statisticile cardurilor, platilor, POS-urilor si bancomatelor
- Noul Cod Civil
- Legea 677 din 2001 privind protectia datelor personale
- Directiva privind Serviciile de Plata (PSD)
- Hotararea Guvernului nr. 2/2018 pentru modificarea si completarea Hotararii Guvernului nr. 717/2009 privind aprobarea normelor de implementare a programului "Prima casa"
- Normele metodologice pentru aplicarea Ordonantei de urgenta a Guvernului nr. 193/2002 privind introducerea sistemelor moderne de plata
- Economistii Bancii Transilvania estimeaza decelerarea PIB-ului de la 7% in 2017 la 4,2% in 2018
- Cresterea economica este nesustenabila, avertizeaza economistii Bancii Transilvania
- Estimarile economice din Romania sunt modeste, in pofida conditiilor financiare bune (studiu GfK)
- National Bank of Romania could leave unchanged the key rate in 2017
- Poland: EU funds - key factor for growth next year
- CEC Bank isi informeaza clientii ca serviciile de internet banking si mobile banking nu vor functiona de vineri seara pana duminica seara
- HSBC, by first direct and Bud, is trialling an open banking app model
- Probleme cu autorizarea platilor online cu carduri Mastercard si Maestro
- Sistemul informatic al Raiffeisen (carduri, ATM-uri, POS-uri, online banking) nu a functionat in aceasta dimineata
- UniCredit prepares for multinational roll-out of instant payments
- Procesul dintre Lucian Isar si Banca Comerciala Feroviara
- Raiffeisen Bank pierde un proces cu ANPC
- Instanta constata caracterul abuziv al dobanzii variabile din contractele de credit ale BCR
- Clauze abuzive in contractele de credit ale Raiffeisen
- BCR a fost reclamata la CEDO de clientii care au pierdut procesele privind clauzele abuzive din contractele de credit
- Ministerul Finantelor anunta ca introduce Declaratia Unica pentru persoanele fizice care realizeaza venituri din activitati economice sau alte categorii de venituri
- Ministerul Finantelor a imprumutat 2 miliarde euro de pe pietele internationale
- Ministerul Finantelor pregateste noi formulare de plata a CAS si CASS, in locul Declaratiei 600
- Guvernul a alocat garantii de 2 miliarde lei pentru Programul Prima Casa in 2018
- Transferul contributiilor de la angajator la angajat va avea aplicabilitate cel putin pana in anul 2020, spune Ministerul Finantelor
- Numarul fimelor active din Romania, conform statisticilor Registrului Comertului
- Evolutia istorica a cresterii anuale a Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Evolutia istorica a valorii Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Transferurile de bani ale romanilor din strainatate au ajuns la 2,1 miliarde euro anul trecut, conform statisticilor Eurostat
- Salariul mediu net si brut lunar pe economie - evolutie istorica intre in anii 1991 - 2016, conform datelor Institutului de Statistica (INS)
- ECB: Insights into the digital transformation of the retail payments ecosystem
- ECB introductory statement on Governing Council decisions
- Speech by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Sustaining openness in a dynamic global economy
- Deciziile de politica monetara ale BCE
- Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Introductory statement to the press conference (with Q&A)
- EBA launches 2018 EU-wide stress test exercise
- Opinion on the use of innovative solutions in the customer due diligence process
- EBA Risk Dashboard
- EBA Risk Dashboard confirms steady improvements in the EU banking sector but banks profitability and business model sustainability remain key challenges
- EBA report on risks and vulnerabilities in the EU banking sector
- Depozitele bancare nu intra in campania electorala
- FGDB explica modul de aplicare a procedurii de recapitalizare interna a unei banci cu depozitele negarantate ale clientilor (bail-in)
- Valoarea depozitelor garantate de FGDB a crescut cu 50 miliarde lei in ultimul an, la 221 miliarde lei in total
- FGDB aminteste ca toate conturile si depozitele din bancile romanesti sunt garantate in limita a 100.000 de euro
- IMF statement of the 2018 Article IV Mission to Romania
- Jaewoo Lee, new IMF mission chief for Romania and Bulgaria
- IMF concludes article IV consultation with Romania
- IMF statement on the stability of the banking system in Ukraine
- Global House Prices: Time to Worry Again?
- EBRD hails Moldova banking breakthrough
- Banca Transilvania and EBRD become majority shareholders of Victoriabank in Moldova
- BERD devine actionar Agricover Holding
- Life satisfaction: the pursuit of happiness - EBRD study
- EBRD is launching a new Green Economy Financing Facility in Romania
- Federal Reserve majoreaza dobanda de referinta pentru dolar la 1,5% - 1,75%
- Federal Reserve issues FOMC statement
- A Challenging Decade and a Question for the Future (speech by Janet Yellen, The Fed chair)
- Janet Yellen speech: Financial Stability a Decade after the Onset of the Crisis
- Janet Yellen - Semiannual Monetary Policy Report to the Congress
- Romania implements SME Initiative: EUR 580 m for Romanian businesses
- European Investment Bank (EIB) is lending EUR 20 million to Agricover Credit IFN
- Obligatiunile Good Pople SA (FRU21) au debutat pe piata AeRO
- BVB avertizeaza doua firme ca nu si-au respectat obligatiile de raportare
- Raiffeisen Centrobank (RCB) a lansat produse de investitii tip warrant la BVB
- BVB a initiat procesul de fuziune cu Sibex
Ne-am tampit chiar cu toti? Eu vreau bani moca, fara sa dau inapoi cu cat mai multi cu atat mai ... detalii
Legea 193/200 art. 1 alin. (1): Orice contract incheiat intre comercianti si consumatori pentru ... detalii
Ce a facut, oferte de refinantare? Mincini!
Raiffeisen nu a facut oferte de refinantare, sau chiar daca au fost facute nu au fost aduse la ... detalii
cosming, va rog sa ne spuneti care sunt articolele care au facut reclama mascata bancilor, sa le ... detalii
pe cind prima de stat
Nu am primit nici pina acum toti bani conform contactului saturat in August ... detalii