National Bank of Romania Board decisions on monetary policy
NBR Board decisions on monetary policy - press release -
In its meeting of 3 October 2017, the Board of the National Bank of Romania decided the following:
- to keep unchanged the monetary policy rate at 1.75 percent per annum;
- to pursue adequate liquidity management in the banking system; and
- to narrow the symmetrical corridor of interest rates on the NBR standing facilities around the policy rate to ±1.25 percentage points from ±1.50 percentage points. Thus, starting 4 October 2017, the deposit facility rate rises to 0.50 percent per annum, while the interest rate on the NBR lending facility is lowered to an annual 3.00 percent.
The annual inflation rate continued to rise in the first two months of Q3 as a whole, posting a significant increase in July (to 1.42 percent from 0.85 percent in the previous month), before slowing down to 1.15 percent in August, slightly lower than forecasted.
The rise was driven by administered prices, following the electricity price hike, while also being supported by fuel price developments amid the pick-up in international oil prices, as well as by faster core inflation.
The mentioned effects were partly offset by the impact of declining volatile food prices.
The annual adjusted CORE2 inflation rate exceeded marginally the forecasted level, to 1.60 percent in August from 1.42 percent in June, on account of a faster pick-up in services prices and, to a lower extent, in processed food prices.
In July 2017, the average annual CPI inflation rate entered positive territory (from -0.1 percent in June), rising further from 0.1 percent in July to 0.2 percent in August; calculated based on the Harmonised Index of Consumer Prices, the annual average consolidated in positive territory at 0.3 percent in August, against 0.2 percent in June 2017.
Statistical data on economic growth in 2017 Q2 show a faster-than-expected pick-up in the annual dynamics of real GDP – 5.9 percent compared to 5.7 percent in the previous quarter. The evolution owed entirely to domestic demand – private consumption expanded by 7.4 percent (contributing 5.3 percentage points to GDP growth), under the impact of fiscal and wage measures and the improvement in employment, whereas gross fixed capital formation returned to positive territory (2.4 percent, making a 0.6 percentage point contribution). In this quarter, the change in inventories had a significant impact on GDP growth (1.3 percentage points). In the context of a more pronounced deceleration in the annual growth rate of exports of goods and services than in that of imports thereof, the contribution of net exports to GDP dynamics turned again negative (-1.4 percentage points). Moreover, the current account deficit almost trebled compared to 2017 Q1 and its coverage by direct investment and capital transfers fell below 100 percent.
On the supply side, the main driver of the stronger advance in economic activity in 2017 Q2 was industrial activity, whose annual pace of increase of 7.7 percent was the highest since 2008 Q3. The services sector continued to make the largest contribution to GDP formation (3.8 percentage points). The latest statistical data show a slowdown in the annual dynamics of industrial output in July (to 7.4 percent from 9.2 percent in the previous month) and a halt in the decline in the construction sector, whereas the turnover volumes of trade and services to households posted faster annual growth rates.
Real monetary conditions were highly accommodative in Q3 as well. Towards the quarter-end, interbank money market rates saw a pronounced upward trend, nearing the policy rate, in the context of the significant upward revision of inflation expectations, stronger expectations on the calibration of the monetary policy stance, as well as amid liquidity fluctuations, under the influence of the autonomous liquidity factors.
The annual dynamics of credit to the private sector gained substantial momentum, reaching a five-year high of 6.5 percent in August, amid stronger new loan flows, alongside a contraction in the sales of non-performing loans. The share of leu-denominated credit in total private sector loans continued to widen to 61 percent, certifying the improvement in monetary policy transmission.
The latest assessments reconfirm the outlook for a further increase in the annual inflation rate over the months ahead, yet at a slightly quicker pace than that in the medium-term forecast published in the August 2017 Inflation Report, against the background of some risks related to developments in certain exogenous CPI components materialising. The uncertainties and risks associated with this outlook are, however, influenced by the domestic and external environment.
Domestically, they are compounded by the fiscal and income policy stance, as well as by the prospects of administered prices (of natural gas, electricity) and volatile food prices.
Turning to the external environment, further relevant are the uncertainties and risks regarding economic growth in the euro area and worldwide, the escalation of some geopolitical tensions, but also the decisions made by major central banks (ECB, Fed). Moreover, a reconfiguration of central banks policies is underway, entailing a change in the path of interest rates on international financial markets.
In light of the information available at present, the Board of the National Bank of Romania, which convened in an ordinary meeting, decided to keep unchanged the monetary policy rate at 1.75 percent per annum, maintain the existing levels of minimum reserve requirement ratios and further pursue adequate liquidity management in the banking system. The Board decided to narrow the symmetrical corridor of interest rates on the NBR’s standing facilities around the policy rate to ±1.25 percentage points from ±1.50 percentage points. Accordingly, starting 4 October 2017, the deposit facility rate increases to 0.50 percent per annum, while the interest rate on the NBR’s lending facility (Lombard rate) is lowered to an annual 3.00 percent.
The Board decisions aim to ensure and preserve price stability over the medium term in a manner conducive to achieving sustainable economic growth. The NBR Board underlines that a balanced macroeconomic policy mix and progress in structural reforms are of the essence in preserving a stable macroeconomic framework and strengthening the capacity of the Romanian economy to withstand potential adverse developments.
The NBR is closely monitoring domestic and external developments and stands ready to use all its available tools.
The account (minutes) of discussions underlying the adoption of the monetary policy decision during today meeting will be posted on the NBR website on 10 October 2017, at 3:00 p.m.
In line with the announced calendar, the next monetary policy meeting of the NBR Board is scheduled for 7 November 2017, when a new quarterly Inflation Report is to be examined.
Adauga un comentariu
Adauga un comentariu folosind contul de Facebook
Alte stiri din categoria: ENGLISH
IMF Staff Concludes Visit to Romania (press realease): End-of-Mission press releases include statements of IMF staff teams that convey preliminary findings after a visit to a country. The views expressed in this statement are those of the IMF staff and do not necessarily represent the detalii
By 2030, 80 percent of heritage financial services firms will go out of business, become commoditized or exist only formally but not competing effectively, according to a Gartner statement. These firms will struggle for relevance as global digital platforms, fintech companies and other detalii
Erste Group and SIF Oltenia announce the preliminary agreement for the acquisition of a 6.29% stake in BCR, according to a statement. - Erste Group to acquire the entire stake held by SIF Oltenia in Banca Comerciala Romana for EUR 140 million - The execution of the transaction is detalii
Discurs de încheiere la evenimentul THE EUROFI HIGH LEVEL SEMINAR 2018 (lb. engleză)
Mugur Isărescu, guvernatorul BNR
Ladies and gentlemen, I am honored to be invited to give a few closing remarks at this EUROFI detalii
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2017
- Topul bancilor cu cele mai mici comisioane la contul curent cu card si online banking
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2016
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2015
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2014
- ROBOR-ul reactioneaza la restrictiile de creditare ale BNR
- Roborul profita de Isarescu
- ROBOR la 6 luni - evolutie istorica
- BNR propune Parlamentului plafonarea dobanzilor la creditele bancilor intre 1,5 si 4 ori peste DAE medie, in functie de tipul creditului; in cazul IFN-urilor, plafonarea dobanzilor nu se justifica
- Legile privind plafonarea dobanzilor la credite si a datoriilor preluate de firmele de recuperare se discuta in Parlament (actualizat)
- Legea privind plafonarea dobanzilor la credite nu a fost inclusa pe ordinea de zi a comisiilor din Camera Deputatilor
- Senatorul Zamfir, despre plafonarea dobanzilor la credite: numai bou-i consecvent!
- Parlamentul dezbate marti legile de plafonare a dobanzilor la credite si a datoriilor cesionate de banci firmelor de recuperare (actualizat)
- Creditele noi acordate de banci au crescut in februarie, dupa cinci luni consecutive de scadere
- Numarul restantierilor din Biroul de Credit urca la cel mai ridicat nivel din ultimele sase luni
- Cate credite noi in euro au acordat bancile in 2017
- Statisticile creditelor acordate de banci populatiei (decembrie 2017)
- Statisticile creditelor acordate de banci firmelor (decembrie 2017)
- Ordonanta de Guvern nr. 21/1992 privind protectia consumatorilor (versiune actualizata)
- Regulament BNR privind institutiile emitente de moneda electronica
- Ordonanta de Urgenta (OUG) nr. 50 din 2010 privind contractele de credit pentru consumatori, actualizata
- Noul Cod Civil
- Legea 677 din 2001 privind protectia datelor personale
- Alpha Bank isi inchide sucursalele si aplicatia de online banking la ora 14 si le deschide abia luni, la 8
- OTP Bank isi anunta clientii ca trebuie sa-si actualizeze datele personale pana in 5 decembrie, altfel banca le va bloca conturile si cardurile
- Banca Transilvania inventeaza POS-uri in forma de cutii de donatii
- Programul agentiilor Raiffeisen Bank in perioada Sarbatorilor de Pasti
- CEC Bank isi informeaza clientii ca serviciile de internet banking si mobile banking nu vor functiona de vineri seara pana duminica seara
- Economistii Bancii Transilvania estimeaza decelerarea PIB-ului de la 7% in 2017 la 4,2% in 2018
- Cresterea economica este nesustenabila, avertizeaza economistii Bancii Transilvania
- Estimarile economice din Romania sunt modeste, in pofida conditiilor financiare bune (studiu GfK)
- National Bank of Romania could leave unchanged the key rate in 2017
- Poland: EU funds - key factor for growth next year
- Intrebari frecvente despre Biroul de Credit
- Lista bancilor si IFN-urilor care-si raporteaza clientii la Biroul de Credit
- Cum pot fi sters din Biroul de Credit?
- Ministerul Finantelor spune ca este in plan cu necesarul de finantare pentru 2018, de 72 miliarde lei
- Termenul de depunere a declaratiei unice a fost prelungit pana la 31 iulie
- Romanii au cumparat titluri de stat Centenar in valoare de 786 milioane lei
- Populatia poate cumpara titluri de stat cu dobanda de 5%, de la Trezorerii sau Posta
- Titlurile de stat pentru populatie prin Programul Tezaur se vor distribui si prin Posta Romana
- Decizia Curtii de Apel Bucuresti in procesul dintre Asociatia Parakletos si bancile care au acordat credite in franci elvetieni
- Raiffeisen Bank pierde procesul cu ANPC privind comisioanele la retragerile de numerar de pe cardurile de credit
- Clauza abuziva intr-un contract de credit al BRD
- BRD a fost obligata de judecatori sa explice cum au avut loc fraudele din 2008-2011
- BRD contesta in justitie o decizie a ANAF
- Enel vrea sa-si treaca clientii pe piata libera
- Oamenii reclama ca nu pot cumpara titluri de stat Centenar la Posta prin transfer bancar sau card, ci doar cu numerar
- Vodafone si Orange, amendate de ANCOM pentru ca si-au suprataxat clientii pentru convorbirile roaming in strainatate
- Ministerul Finantelor anunta ca introduce Declaratia Unica pentru persoanele fizice care realizeaza venituri din activitati economice sau alte categorii de venituri
- Ministerul Finantelor a imprumutat 2 miliarde euro de pe pietele internationale
- Numarul fimelor active din Romania, conform statisticilor Registrului Comertului
- Evolutia istorica a cresterii anuale a Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Evolutia istorica a valorii Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Transferurile de bani ale romanilor din strainatate au ajuns la 2,1 miliarde euro anul trecut, conform statisticilor Eurostat
- Salariul mediu net si brut lunar pe economie - evolutie istorica intre in anii 1991 - 2016, conform datelor Institutului de Statistica (INS)
- ECB: Insights into the digital transformation of the retail payments ecosystem
- ECB introductory statement on Governing Council decisions
- Speech by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Sustaining openness in a dynamic global economy
- Deciziile de politica monetara ale BCE
- Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Introductory statement to the press conference (with Q&A)
- EBA publishes 2018 EU-wide stress test results
- EBA launches 2018 EU-wide transparency exercise
- EBA issues first binding mediation decision between the SRB and the NBR
- Asset repricing, cyber-attacks and Brexit are key risks for EU financial markets, shows ESA report
- EBA publishes its Roadmap on FinTech
- Peste 80% din depozitele bancare sunt garantate
- Depozitele bancare nu intra in campania electorala
- FGDB explica modul de aplicare a procedurii de recapitalizare interna a unei banci cu depozitele negarantate ale clientilor (bail-in)
- Valoarea depozitelor garantate de FGDB a crescut cu 50 miliarde lei in ultimul an, la 221 miliarde lei in total
- FGDB aminteste ca toate conturile si depozitele din bancile romanesti sunt garantate in limita a 100.000 de euro
- FMI: majorarea salariilor din sectorul public si legea pensiilor ar trebui reevaluate
- IMF statement of the 2018 Article IV Mission to Romania
- Jaewoo Lee, new IMF mission chief for Romania and Bulgaria
- IMF concludes article IV consultation with Romania
- IMF statement on the stability of the banking system in Ukraine
- BERD dezvaluie cat a platit pe actiunile Piraeus Bank
- ING Bank si BERD finanteaza parcul logistic CTPark Bucharest
- EBRD hails Moldova banking breakthrough
- Banca Transilvania and EBRD become majority shareholders of Victoriabank in Moldova
- BERD devine actionar Agricover Holding
- Federal Reserve urca dobanda la 2,25%
- Federal Reserve decided to maintain the target range for the federal funds rate at 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 percent
- Federal Reserve majoreaza dobanda de referinta pentru dolar la 1,5% - 1,75%
- Federal Reserve issues FOMC statement
- A Challenging Decade and a Question for the Future (speech by Janet Yellen, The Fed chair)
- Probleme la Unicredit cu functionarea aplicatiilor de mobile banking si online banking
- Cardul de masa BT poate fi inregistrat in BT Pay, pentru platile cu telefonul
- BCR a lansat noua platforma de online banking, George
- BBVA ofera open banking
- Horum Bank, banca poloneza bazata pe tehnologia blockchain
- Romania implements SME Initiative: EUR 580 m for Romanian businesses
- European Investment Bank (EIB) is lending EUR 20 million to Agricover Credit IFN
- State aid: Commission refers Romania to Court for failure to recover illegal aid worth up to €92 million
- Comisia Europeana publica raportul privind progresele inregistrate de Romania in cadrul mecanismului de cooperare si de verificare (MCV)
- Infringements: Commission refers Greece, Ireland and Romania to the Court of Justice for not implementing anti-money laundering rules
- Council of the European Union statement on Bulgaria path towards ERM II participation
- Romania, pe ultimul loc in Europa la digitalizare
- Obligatiunile Bancii Transilvania se tranzactioneaza la Bursa de Valori Bucuresti
- Obligatiunile Good Pople SA (FRU21) au debutat pe piata AeRO
- BVB avertizeaza doua firme ca nu si-au respectat obligatiile de raportare
- Raiffeisen Centrobank (RCB) a lansat produse de investitii tip warrant la BVB
- BVB a initiat procesul de fuziune cu Sibex