National Bank of Romania Board decisions on monetary policy
NBR Board decisions on monetary policy - press release -
In its meeting of 3 October 2017, the Board of the National Bank of Romania decided the following:
- to keep unchanged the monetary policy rate at 1.75 percent per annum;
- to pursue adequate liquidity management in the banking system; and
- to narrow the symmetrical corridor of interest rates on the NBR standing facilities around the policy rate to ±1.25 percentage points from ±1.50 percentage points. Thus, starting 4 October 2017, the deposit facility rate rises to 0.50 percent per annum, while the interest rate on the NBR lending facility is lowered to an annual 3.00 percent.
The annual inflation rate continued to rise in the first two months of Q3 as a whole, posting a significant increase in July (to 1.42 percent from 0.85 percent in the previous month), before slowing down to 1.15 percent in August, slightly lower than forecasted.
The rise was driven by administered prices, following the electricity price hike, while also being supported by fuel price developments amid the pick-up in international oil prices, as well as by faster core inflation.
The mentioned effects were partly offset by the impact of declining volatile food prices.
The annual adjusted CORE2 inflation rate exceeded marginally the forecasted level, to 1.60 percent in August from 1.42 percent in June, on account of a faster pick-up in services prices and, to a lower extent, in processed food prices.
In July 2017, the average annual CPI inflation rate entered positive territory (from -0.1 percent in June), rising further from 0.1 percent in July to 0.2 percent in August; calculated based on the Harmonised Index of Consumer Prices, the annual average consolidated in positive territory at 0.3 percent in August, against 0.2 percent in June 2017.
Statistical data on economic growth in 2017 Q2 show a faster-than-expected pick-up in the annual dynamics of real GDP – 5.9 percent compared to 5.7 percent in the previous quarter. The evolution owed entirely to domestic demand – private consumption expanded by 7.4 percent (contributing 5.3 percentage points to GDP growth), under the impact of fiscal and wage measures and the improvement in employment, whereas gross fixed capital formation returned to positive territory (2.4 percent, making a 0.6 percentage point contribution). In this quarter, the change in inventories had a significant impact on GDP growth (1.3 percentage points). In the context of a more pronounced deceleration in the annual growth rate of exports of goods and services than in that of imports thereof, the contribution of net exports to GDP dynamics turned again negative (-1.4 percentage points). Moreover, the current account deficit almost trebled compared to 2017 Q1 and its coverage by direct investment and capital transfers fell below 100 percent.
On the supply side, the main driver of the stronger advance in economic activity in 2017 Q2 was industrial activity, whose annual pace of increase of 7.7 percent was the highest since 2008 Q3. The services sector continued to make the largest contribution to GDP formation (3.8 percentage points). The latest statistical data show a slowdown in the annual dynamics of industrial output in July (to 7.4 percent from 9.2 percent in the previous month) and a halt in the decline in the construction sector, whereas the turnover volumes of trade and services to households posted faster annual growth rates.
Real monetary conditions were highly accommodative in Q3 as well. Towards the quarter-end, interbank money market rates saw a pronounced upward trend, nearing the policy rate, in the context of the significant upward revision of inflation expectations, stronger expectations on the calibration of the monetary policy stance, as well as amid liquidity fluctuations, under the influence of the autonomous liquidity factors.
The annual dynamics of credit to the private sector gained substantial momentum, reaching a five-year high of 6.5 percent in August, amid stronger new loan flows, alongside a contraction in the sales of non-performing loans. The share of leu-denominated credit in total private sector loans continued to widen to 61 percent, certifying the improvement in monetary policy transmission.
The latest assessments reconfirm the outlook for a further increase in the annual inflation rate over the months ahead, yet at a slightly quicker pace than that in the medium-term forecast published in the August 2017 Inflation Report, against the background of some risks related to developments in certain exogenous CPI components materialising. The uncertainties and risks associated with this outlook are, however, influenced by the domestic and external environment.
Domestically, they are compounded by the fiscal and income policy stance, as well as by the prospects of administered prices (of natural gas, electricity) and volatile food prices.
Turning to the external environment, further relevant are the uncertainties and risks regarding economic growth in the euro area and worldwide, the escalation of some geopolitical tensions, but also the decisions made by major central banks (ECB, Fed). Moreover, a reconfiguration of central banks policies is underway, entailing a change in the path of interest rates on international financial markets.
In light of the information available at present, the Board of the National Bank of Romania, which convened in an ordinary meeting, decided to keep unchanged the monetary policy rate at 1.75 percent per annum, maintain the existing levels of minimum reserve requirement ratios and further pursue adequate liquidity management in the banking system. The Board decided to narrow the symmetrical corridor of interest rates on the NBR’s standing facilities around the policy rate to ±1.25 percentage points from ±1.50 percentage points. Accordingly, starting 4 October 2017, the deposit facility rate increases to 0.50 percent per annum, while the interest rate on the NBR’s lending facility (Lombard rate) is lowered to an annual 3.00 percent.
The Board decisions aim to ensure and preserve price stability over the medium term in a manner conducive to achieving sustainable economic growth. The NBR Board underlines that a balanced macroeconomic policy mix and progress in structural reforms are of the essence in preserving a stable macroeconomic framework and strengthening the capacity of the Romanian economy to withstand potential adverse developments.
The NBR is closely monitoring domestic and external developments and stands ready to use all its available tools.
The account (minutes) of discussions underlying the adoption of the monetary policy decision during today meeting will be posted on the NBR website on 10 October 2017, at 3:00 p.m.
In line with the announced calendar, the next monetary policy meeting of the NBR Board is scheduled for 7 November 2017, when a new quarterly Inflation Report is to be examined.
Adauga un comentariu
Adauga un comentariu folosind contul de Facebook
Alte stiri din categoria: ENGLISH
OTP Bank statement: OTP Bank Plc. („OTP Bank”) informs hereby the capital markets that the National Bank of Romania in a management letter notified OTP Bank’s Romanian subsidiary bank on 14 March 2018 that it did not grant its approval for the detalii
Press release on the NBR decision regarding the intention of OTP Bank to purchase Banca Românească:
The National Bank of Romania announces that, pursuant to Government Emergency Ordinance No. 99/2006 on credit institutions and capital adequacy, approved with detalii
European Commission - Press release FinTech: Commission takes action for a more competitive and innovative financial market Brussels, 8 March 2018 The European Commission is today unveiling an Action Plan on how to harness the opportunities presented by detalii
Banca Transilvania Preliminary Financial Results as at December 31, 2017 (bank statement) 2017 meant for Banca Transilvania a continuation of the positive track record, organic growth, efficiency and digital banking projects. Financial details (vs. the end of the detalii
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2016
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2015
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2014
- Cota de piata a bancilor dupa active la finalul anului 2013, conform datelor BNR
- Topul bancilor cu cele mai mici comisioane la internet banking
- Bancile se declara "profund ingrijorate de consecintele negative ale proiectelor de lege privind sectorul financiar-bancar"
- BNR, despre plafonarea dobanzilor: este absolut necesar ca orice masuri de reglementare sa se realizeze cat mai echilibrat
- Numarul restantierilor din Biroul de Credit urca la cel mai ridicat nivel din ultimele sase luni
- Cate credite noi in euro au acordat bancile in 2017
- Statisticile creditelor acordate de banci populatiei (decembrie 2017)
- Statisticile creditelor acordate de banci firmelor (decembrie 2017)
- Statisticile cardurilor, platilor, POS-urilor si bancomatelor
- Noul Cod Civil
- Legea 677 din 2001 privind protectia datelor personale
- Directiva privind Serviciile de Plata (PSD)
- Hotararea Guvernului nr. 2/2018 pentru modificarea si completarea Hotararii Guvernului nr. 717/2009 privind aprobarea normelor de implementare a programului "Prima casa"
- Normele metodologice pentru aplicarea Ordonantei de urgenta a Guvernului nr. 193/2002 privind introducerea sistemelor moderne de plata
- Economistii Bancii Transilvania estimeaza decelerarea PIB-ului de la 7% in 2017 la 4,2% in 2018
- Cresterea economica este nesustenabila, avertizeaza economistii Bancii Transilvania
- Estimarile economice din Romania sunt modeste, in pofida conditiilor financiare bune (studiu GfK)
- National Bank of Romania could leave unchanged the key rate in 2017
- Poland: EU funds - key factor for growth next year
- CEC Bank isi informeaza clientii ca serviciile de internet banking si mobile banking nu vor functiona de vineri seara pana duminica seara
- HSBC, by first direct and Bud, is trialling an open banking app model
- Probleme cu autorizarea platilor online cu carduri Mastercard si Maestro
- Sistemul informatic al Raiffeisen (carduri, ATM-uri, POS-uri, online banking) nu a functionat in aceasta dimineata
- UniCredit prepares for multinational roll-out of instant payments
- Procesul dintre Lucian Isar si Banca Comerciala Feroviara
- Raiffeisen Bank pierde un proces cu ANPC
- Instanta constata caracterul abuziv al dobanzii variabile din contractele de credit ale BCR
- Clauze abuzive in contractele de credit ale Raiffeisen
- BCR a fost reclamata la CEDO de clientii care au pierdut procesele privind clauzele abuzive din contractele de credit
- Ministerul Finantelor anunta ca introduce Declaratia Unica pentru persoanele fizice care realizeaza venituri din activitati economice sau alte categorii de venituri
- Ministerul Finantelor a imprumutat 2 miliarde euro de pe pietele internationale
- Ministerul Finantelor pregateste noi formulare de plata a CAS si CASS, in locul Declaratiei 600
- Guvernul a alocat garantii de 2 miliarde lei pentru Programul Prima Casa in 2018
- Transferul contributiilor de la angajator la angajat va avea aplicabilitate cel putin pana in anul 2020, spune Ministerul Finantelor
- Numarul fimelor active din Romania, conform statisticilor Registrului Comertului
- Evolutia istorica a cresterii anuale a Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Evolutia istorica a valorii Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Transferurile de bani ale romanilor din strainatate au ajuns la 2,1 miliarde euro anul trecut, conform statisticilor Eurostat
- Salariul mediu net si brut lunar pe economie - evolutie istorica intre in anii 1991 - 2016, conform datelor Institutului de Statistica (INS)
- ECB: Insights into the digital transformation of the retail payments ecosystem
- ECB introductory statement on Governing Council decisions
- Speech by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Sustaining openness in a dynamic global economy
- Deciziile de politica monetara ale BCE
- Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Introductory statement to the press conference (with Q&A)
- EBA launches 2018 EU-wide stress test exercise
- Opinion on the use of innovative solutions in the customer due diligence process
- EBA Risk Dashboard
- EBA Risk Dashboard confirms steady improvements in the EU banking sector but banks profitability and business model sustainability remain key challenges
- EBA report on risks and vulnerabilities in the EU banking sector
- Depozitele bancare nu intra in campania electorala
- FGDB explica modul de aplicare a procedurii de recapitalizare interna a unei banci cu depozitele negarantate ale clientilor (bail-in)
- Valoarea depozitelor garantate de FGDB a crescut cu 50 miliarde lei in ultimul an, la 221 miliarde lei in total
- FGDB aminteste ca toate conturile si depozitele din bancile romanesti sunt garantate in limita a 100.000 de euro
- IMF statement of the 2018 Article IV Mission to Romania
- Jaewoo Lee, new IMF mission chief for Romania and Bulgaria
- IMF concludes article IV consultation with Romania
- IMF statement on the stability of the banking system in Ukraine
- Global House Prices: Time to Worry Again?
- EBRD hails Moldova banking breakthrough
- Banca Transilvania and EBRD become majority shareholders of Victoriabank in Moldova
- BERD devine actionar Agricover Holding
- Life satisfaction: the pursuit of happiness - EBRD study
- EBRD is launching a new Green Economy Financing Facility in Romania
- Federal Reserve majoreaza dobanda de referinta pentru dolar la 1,5% - 1,75%
- Federal Reserve issues FOMC statement
- A Challenging Decade and a Question for the Future (speech by Janet Yellen, The Fed chair)
- Janet Yellen speech: Financial Stability a Decade after the Onset of the Crisis
- Janet Yellen - Semiannual Monetary Policy Report to the Congress
- Romania implements SME Initiative: EUR 580 m for Romanian businesses
- European Investment Bank (EIB) is lending EUR 20 million to Agricover Credit IFN
- Obligatiunile Good Pople SA (FRU21) au debutat pe piata AeRO
- BVB avertizeaza doua firme ca nu si-au respectat obligatiile de raportare
- Raiffeisen Centrobank (RCB) a lansat produse de investitii tip warrant la BVB
- BVB a initiat procesul de fuziune cu Sibex
Ne-am tampit chiar cu toti? Eu vreau bani moca, fara sa dau inapoi cu cat mai multi cu atat mai ... detalii
Legea 193/200 art. 1 alin. (1): Orice contract incheiat intre comercianti si consumatori pentru ... detalii
Ce a facut, oferte de refinantare? Mincini!
Raiffeisen nu a facut oferte de refinantare, sau chiar daca au fost facute nu au fost aduse la ... detalii
cosming, va rog sa ne spuneti care sunt articolele care au facut reclama mascata bancilor, sa le ... detalii
pe cind prima de stat
Nu am primit nici pina acum toti bani conform contactului saturat in August ... detalii