Banking: Creditor hierarchy, IFRS 9/large exposures rules approved by Council of the European Union
Banking: Creditor hierarchy, IFRS 9/large exposures rules approved (Council of the European Union statement):
On 15 November 2017, EU ambassadors endorsed, on behalf of the Council, an agreement with the European Parliament on two banking proposals:
- a draft directive on the ranking of unsecured debt instruments in insolvency proceedings (bank creditor hierarchy);
- a draft regulation on transitional arrangements to phase in the regulatory capital impact of the IFRS 9 international accounting standard.
The draft regulation also contains a phase-out of provisions on the large exposures treatment of public sector debt denominated in non-domestic EU currencies.
"Risk reduction in the banking union is fundamental for avoiding a new crisis. It is a precondition for euro area reform", said Toomas Tõniste, minister for finance of Estonia, which currently holds the Council presidency. "These two proposals will help achieve legal certainty for market players, whilst aligning our legislation with new prudential standards agreed at international level."
Provisional agreement with the Parliament was reached on 25 October 2017. The Parliament is now expected to approve the regulation at first reading. The text will then be submitted to the Council for adoption.
Creditor hierarchy in insolvency proceedings
Directive 2014/59/EU on bank recovery and resolution subordinates uncovered deposits (above €100 000) to covered deposits in the event of insolvency proceedings. It establishes a preference for natural persons and SMEs. It does not provide, however, for subordination for senior unsecured debt securities versus other forms of unsecured debt claims.
Such a specification is now necessary in view of the Financial Stability Board´s November 2015 ´total loss-absorbing capacity´ (TLAC) standard. To be implemented by global systemically important banks in 2019, the TLAC standard requires the holding of subordinated instruments (´subordination requirement´).
The draft directive therefore requires member states to create a new class of ´non-preferred´ senior debt, eligible to meet the subordination requirement.
It will thereby facilitate the application of EU bail-in rules in cross-border situations and avoid distortions of the EU single market. A number of member states have amended or are in the process of amending their insolvency laws. The absence of harmonised EU rules creates uncertainty for banks and investors alike.
The draft, which mainly amends article 108 of the directive on bank recovery and resolution, has been made a priority amongst other banking proposals presented by the Commission in November 2016. The aim is to provide legal certainty for banks and investors.
IFRS 9 and large exposures
The regulation will mitigate the potential negative regulatory capital impact on banks of the introduction of International Financial Reporting Standard (IFRS) 9.
IFRS 9 was published by the International Accounting Standards Board in July 2014. Regulation 2016/2067 requires EU banks to use it in their financial statements for financial years starting on or after 1 January 2018.
IFRS 9 is aimed at improving the loss provisioning of financial instruments by addressing concerns that arose during the financial crisis. It responds to the G20’s call for a more forward-looking model for the recognition of expected credit losses on financial assets.
Use of IFRS 9 by banks may however lead to a sudden increase in expected credit loss (ECL) provisions and a consequent sudden fall in their regulatory capital ratios. Transitional arrangements are needed from 1 January 2018, consistent with use of the new accounting standard. It was therefore decided to split and fast-track the entry into force of certain provisions from a broader November 2016 Commission proposal amending regulation 575/2013 on bank capital requirements.
The resulting draft regulation will allow banks to add back to their ‘common equity tier 1’ capital a portion of the increased ECL provisions as extra capital during a five-year transitional period. That added amount will progressively decrease to zero during the course of the transitional period.
The draft regulation also provides for a three-year phase-out of an exemption from the large exposure limit for banks´ exposures to public sector debt denominated in the currency of another member state.
The exemption is used by banks in several non-eurozone member states for their euro-denominated holdings of those member states´ public debt. Unless regulation 575/2013 is amended, the exemption will cease to apply after 31 December 2017. The phase-out is intended to soften the impact of its termination.
Adauga un comentariu
Adauga un comentariu folosind contul de Facebook
Alte stiri din categoria: ENGLISH
OTP Bank withdrew the appeal filed against the National Bank of Romania regarding Banca Romaneasca takover
OTP Bank extraordinary announcement: OTP Bank Plc. („OTP Bank”) hereby informs the capital markets in connection with the acquisition of the 99.28% shareholding held by National Bank of Greece S.A. (“NBG”) in Romanian Banca Romaneasca S.A. detalii
B2Holding has through its Romanian subsidiary B2 Kapital Portfolio Management SRL entered into an agreement to acquire a portfolio of retail and corporate, secured and unsecured non-performing loans in Romania, according to a statement. The portfolio is sold by Banca Transilvania S.A., a detalii
NBR Board decisions on monetary policy issues (press release) In January 2018, the annual inflation rate rose significantly to 4.32 percent from 3.32 percent in December 2017, before increasing to 4.72 percent in February, slightly below the forecasted detalii
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2016
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2015
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2014
- Cota de piata a bancilor dupa active la finalul anului 2013, conform datelor BNR
- Topul bancilor cu cele mai mici comisioane la internet banking
- BNR propune Parlamentului plafonarea dobanzilor la creditele bancilor intre 1,5 si 4 ori peste DAE medie, in functie de tipul creditului; in cazul IFN-urilor, plafonarea dobanzilor nu se justifica
- Legile privind plafonarea dobanzilor la credite si a datoriilor preluate de firmele de recuperare se discuta in Parlament (actualizat)
- Legea privind plafonarea dobanzilor la credite nu a fost inclusa pe ordinea de zi a comisiilor din Camera Deputatilor
- Senatorul Zamfir, despre plafonarea dobanzilor la credite: numai bou-i consecvent!
- Parlamentul dezbate marti legile de plafonare a dobanzilor la credite si a datoriilor cesionate de banci firmelor de recuperare (actualizat)
- Creditele noi acordate de banci au crescut in februarie, dupa cinci luni consecutive de scadere
- Numarul restantierilor din Biroul de Credit urca la cel mai ridicat nivel din ultimele sase luni
- Cate credite noi in euro au acordat bancile in 2017
- Statisticile creditelor acordate de banci populatiei (decembrie 2017)
- Statisticile creditelor acordate de banci firmelor (decembrie 2017)
- Ordonanta de Urgenta (OUG) nr. 50 din 2010 privind contractele de credit pentru consumatori, actualizata
- Noul Cod Civil
- Legea 677 din 2001 privind protectia datelor personale
- Directiva privind Serviciile de Plata (PSD)
- Hotararea Guvernului nr. 2/2018 pentru modificarea si completarea Hotararii Guvernului nr. 717/2009 privind aprobarea normelor de implementare a programului "Prima casa"
- Economistii Bancii Transilvania estimeaza decelerarea PIB-ului de la 7% in 2017 la 4,2% in 2018
- Cresterea economica este nesustenabila, avertizeaza economistii Bancii Transilvania
- Estimarile economice din Romania sunt modeste, in pofida conditiilor financiare bune (studiu GfK)
- National Bank of Romania could leave unchanged the key rate in 2017
- Poland: EU funds - key factor for growth next year
- Banca Transilvania inventeaza POS-uri in forma de cutii de donatii
- Programul agentiilor Raiffeisen Bank in perioada Sarbatorilor de Pasti
- CEC Bank isi informeaza clientii ca serviciile de internet banking si mobile banking nu vor functiona de vineri seara pana duminica seara
- HSBC, by first direct and Bud, is trialling an open banking app model
- Probleme cu autorizarea platilor online cu carduri Mastercard si Maestro
- Populatia poate cumpara titluri de stat cu dobanda de 5%, de la Trezorerii sau Posta
- Titlurile de stat pentru populatie prin Programul Tezaur se vor distribui si prin Posta Romana
- Ministerul Finantelor amana cu trei luni sanctiunile pentru nedotarea magazinelor cu aparate de marcat electronice
- Ministerul Finantelor ne spune cum se completeaza, depune si transmite declaratia unica
- MFP simplifica si eficientizeaza achizitiile publice
- Lista bancilor si IFN-urilor care-si raporteaza clientii la Biroul de Credit
- Cum pot fi sters din Biroul de Credit?
- Curtea Constitutionala respinge contestatiile Credit Europe Bank la legea darii in plata
- Procesul dintre Lucian Isar si Banca Comerciala Feroviara
- Raiffeisen Bank pierde un proces cu ANPC
- Instanta constata caracterul abuziv al dobanzii variabile din contractele de credit ale BCR
- Clauze abuzive in contractele de credit ale Raiffeisen
- Oamenii reclama ca nu pot cumpara titluri de stat Centenar la Posta prin transfer bancar sau card, ci doar cu numerar
- Vodafone si Orange, amendate de ANCOM pentru ca si-au suprataxat clientii pentru convorbirile roaming in strainatate
- Ministerul Finantelor anunta ca introduce Declaratia Unica pentru persoanele fizice care realizeaza venituri din activitati economice sau alte categorii de venituri
- Ministerul Finantelor a imprumutat 2 miliarde euro de pe pietele internationale
- Ministerul Finantelor pregateste noi formulare de plata a CAS si CASS, in locul Declaratiei 600
- Numarul fimelor active din Romania, conform statisticilor Registrului Comertului
- Evolutia istorica a cresterii anuale a Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Evolutia istorica a valorii Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Transferurile de bani ale romanilor din strainatate au ajuns la 2,1 miliarde euro anul trecut, conform statisticilor Eurostat
- Salariul mediu net si brut lunar pe economie - evolutie istorica intre in anii 1991 - 2016, conform datelor Institutului de Statistica (INS)
- ECB: Insights into the digital transformation of the retail payments ecosystem
- ECB introductory statement on Governing Council decisions
- Speech by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Sustaining openness in a dynamic global economy
- Deciziile de politica monetara ale BCE
- Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Introductory statement to the press conference (with Q&A)
- EBA issues first binding mediation decision between the SRB and the NBR
- Asset repricing, cyber-attacks and Brexit are key risks for EU financial markets, shows ESA report
- EBA publishes its Roadmap on FinTech
- EBA launches 2018 EU-wide stress test exercise
- Opinion on the use of innovative solutions in the customer due diligence process
- Peste 80% din depozitele bancare sunt garantate
- Depozitele bancare nu intra in campania electorala
- FGDB explica modul de aplicare a procedurii de recapitalizare interna a unei banci cu depozitele negarantate ale clientilor (bail-in)
- Valoarea depozitelor garantate de FGDB a crescut cu 50 miliarde lei in ultimul an, la 221 miliarde lei in total
- FGDB aminteste ca toate conturile si depozitele din bancile romanesti sunt garantate in limita a 100.000 de euro
- IMF statement of the 2018 Article IV Mission to Romania
- Jaewoo Lee, new IMF mission chief for Romania and Bulgaria
- IMF concludes article IV consultation with Romania
- IMF statement on the stability of the banking system in Ukraine
- Global House Prices: Time to Worry Again?
- ING Bank si BERD finanteaza parcul logistic CTPark Bucharest
- EBRD hails Moldova banking breakthrough
- Banca Transilvania and EBRD become majority shareholders of Victoriabank in Moldova
- BERD devine actionar Agricover Holding
- Life satisfaction: the pursuit of happiness - EBRD study
- Federal Reserve decided to maintain the target range for the federal funds rate at 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 percent
- Federal Reserve majoreaza dobanda de referinta pentru dolar la 1,5% - 1,75%
- Federal Reserve issues FOMC statement
- A Challenging Decade and a Question for the Future (speech by Janet Yellen, The Fed chair)
- Janet Yellen speech: Financial Stability a Decade after the Onset of the Crisis
- Romania implements SME Initiative: EUR 580 m for Romanian businesses
- European Investment Bank (EIB) is lending EUR 20 million to Agricover Credit IFN
- Romania, pe ultimul loc in Europa la digitalizare
- Platile in euro vor avea aceleasi comisioane ca cele in lei, a decis Comisia Europeana
- Comisia Europeana prezinta un plan de actiune pentru tehnologiile financiare (FinTech)
- Obligatiunile Good Pople SA (FRU21) au debutat pe piata AeRO
- BVB avertizeaza doua firme ca nu si-au respectat obligatiile de raportare
- Raiffeisen Centrobank (RCB) a lansat produse de investitii tip warrant la BVB
- BVB a initiat procesul de fuziune cu Sibex