Euro area economic outlook, the ECB’s monetary policy and current policy challenges (statement by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB)
Euro area economic outlook, the ECB’s monetary policy and current policy challenges
Statement by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB,
at the thirty-second meeting of the International Monetary and Financial Committee,
Lima, 9 October 2015
Faced with a more challenging external environment than six months ago, the euro area economy has shown signs of resilience. However, developments surrounding the slower growth in emerging market economies are posing renewed risks to the euro area outlook.
Our monetary policy measures have supported, and continue to support, domestic demand, contributing to the euro area recovery and to a gradual improvement in the inflation outlook. Significant progress towards sound public finances, the implementation of structural reforms and further steps towards completing the banking union should buttress the so far moderate recovery, while a new convergence process is needed to foster the euro area’s crisis resilience.
The cyclical recovery in the euro area, which started more than two years ago, is continuing Real GDP rose by 0.4%, quarter on quarter, in the second quarter of this year, following growth of 0.5% in the first quarter.
The latest data and survey evidence confirm that this growth trend will continue in the second half of this year. Looking ahead, the economic recovery is expected to continue. While external demand is somewhat weaker than anticipated, domestic demand is expected to remain the main driver of the recovery, and should continue to be supported by our monetary policy measures, progress made in terms of fiscal consolidation and structural reform, and low oil prices. However, economic growth in the euro area is likely to continue to be dampened by the necessary balance-sheet adjustments in a number of sectors and the sluggish pace of implementation of structural reforms. At the same time, labour markets remain weak but are gradually improving.
Employment increased further in the second quarter of 2015, while the unemployment rate has continued to decline. Survey data point to further improvements in labour market conditions in the period ahead. The risks to the growth outlook remain on the downside, reflecting in particular the heightened uncertainties related to the external environment.
Against a background of further declines in commodity prices, notably oil, recent HICP inflation numbers have drifted back to levels around zero, following the rebound from negative rates seen earlier in the year.
Looking ahead, headline inflation is expected to remain very low in the near term, until upward base effects relating to energy prices push it up towards the end of the year. Inflation rates are foreseen to rise further during 2016 and 2017, supported by the expected economic recovery, the pass-through of past declines in the exchange rate, and, assuming current prices in futures markets materialise, somewhat higher oil prices in the years ahead. The Governing Council will continue to closely monitor the risks to the outlook for price developments over the medium term, in particular risks related to the pass-through of the monetary policy measures as well as global economic, financial, commodity price and exchange rate developments.
Our monetary policy continues to aim to safeguard price stability. Since mid-2014 we have taken a number of both conventional and unconventional measures to address the heightened risks of too prolonged a period of too low inflation, encompassing targeted longer-term refinancing operations (TLTROs), a third covered bond purchase programme (CBPP3) and an asset-backed securities purchase programme (ABSPP). In January 2015, an expanded asset purchase programme (APP) was launched. The APP continues to proceed smoothly and – together with other monetary policy measures – has a favourable impact on the cost and availability of credit for firms and households, contributing to the euro area recovery and a gradual rise in inflation.
We intend to purchase private and public securities until the end of September 2016, or beyond if necessary, and, in any case, until we see a sustained adjustment in the path of inflation that is consistent with our aim of achieving inflation rates below, but close to, 2% over the medium term. In the light of renewed risks that have emerged on the back of recent developments in global and in financial and commodity markets, we are closely monitoring all relevant incoming information and are ready to use all the instruments available within our mandate to act, if warranted, in particular by adjusting the size, composition and duration of the asset purchase programme.
Since the peak of the crisis, the euro area has made significant progress towards sound public finances and implementing structural reforms. Given the high structural unemployment level and low potential output, the ongoing cyclical recovery should be supported by effective structural policies. Further product market and labour market reforms, and, in particular, actions to improve the business environment, which should include an adequate public infrastructure, are of the essence and need to gain momentum across the euro area countries. Such reforms will increase productive investment, boost job creation and raise productivity, while increasing the adjustment capacity and resilience of the euro area economies to global shocks. Fiscal policies should support the modest economic recovery and ensure debt sustainability, while remaining in full compliance with the EU’s fiscal rules. With bond yields subject to volatility, high-debt countries in particular need to pay attention to risks related to a reversal of the current low interest rate environment.
We have achieved significant progress over the past year, with banking union becoming a reality and with the Single Supervisory Mechanism and the Single Resolution Mechanism starting their operations.
However, developments in Greece in the first half of this year served as a reminder that the euro area architecture remains unfinished. As spelled out in the Five Presidents’ Report, a more complete union is necessary to make our monetary union in Europe stable and prosperous. The economic and monetary union will notably need to strengthen its tools for managing and preventing the build-up of fiscal, financial and other macroeconomic risks.
It is also necessary for the euro area to move towards completing banking union in order to create a truly single banking system and achieve its objectives of breaking the bank-sovereign nexus, making the financial system more resilient, and protecting the interests of taxpayers. In parallel, the authorities will need to decisively deal with remaining crisis legacies to create a better foundation for bank lending to the real economy.
To further widen the scope for cross-border private risk-sharing in Europe, the EU will have to make progress in developing a capital markets union (CMU). CMU will also play a key role in supporting European growth by diversifying sources of funding and increasing companies’ access to financing. A long-term vision accompanied by an ambitious agenda for further action will be necessary in order to achieve the ultimate aims of CMU.
A more complete union in Europe will not only create a more prosperous and resilient euro area economy for its own citizens, but will also be in the best interests of the global economy.
Source: ECB website
Adauga un comentariu
Adauga un comentariu folosind contul de Facebook
Alte stiri din categoria: Noutati BCE
Mario Draghi, President of the ECB,
Vítor Constâncio, Vice-President of the ECB,
Frankfurt am Main, 14 December 2017 INTRODUCTORY STATEMENT Ladies and gentlemen, the Vice-President and I are very pleased to welcome you to our press detalii
Sustaining openness in a dynamic global economy Speech by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB, at the Economic Policy Symposium of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, Jackson Hole, 25 August 2017 The global recovery is firming up. In some countries detalii
Decizii de politică monetară (comunicat de presa al BCE) În ședința de astăzi, Consiliul guvernatorilor BCE a hotărât ca rata dobânzii la operațiunile principale de refinanțare și ratele dobânzilor la facilitatea de creditare marginală detalii
Mario Draghi, President of the ECB, Vítor Constâncio, Vice-President of the ECB, Frankfurt am Main, 9 March 2017 Introductory statement to the press conference (with Q&A): Ladies and gentlemen, the Vice-President and I are very pleased to detalii
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2017
- Topul bancilor cu cele mai mici comisioane la contul curent cu card si online banking
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2016
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2015
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2014
- ROBOR-ul reactioneaza la restrictiile de creditare ale BNR
- Roborul profita de Isarescu
- ROBOR la 6 luni - evolutie istorica
- BNR propune Parlamentului plafonarea dobanzilor la creditele bancilor intre 1,5 si 4 ori peste DAE medie, in functie de tipul creditului; in cazul IFN-urilor, plafonarea dobanzilor nu se justifica
- Legile privind plafonarea dobanzilor la credite si a datoriilor preluate de firmele de recuperare se discuta in Parlament (actualizat)
- Legea privind plafonarea dobanzilor la credite nu a fost inclusa pe ordinea de zi a comisiilor din Camera Deputatilor
- Senatorul Zamfir, despre plafonarea dobanzilor la credite: numai bou-i consecvent!
- Parlamentul dezbate marti legile de plafonare a dobanzilor la credite si a datoriilor cesionate de banci firmelor de recuperare (actualizat)
- Creditele noi acordate de banci au crescut in februarie, dupa cinci luni consecutive de scadere
- Numarul restantierilor din Biroul de Credit urca la cel mai ridicat nivel din ultimele sase luni
- Cate credite noi in euro au acordat bancile in 2017
- Statisticile creditelor acordate de banci populatiei (decembrie 2017)
- Statisticile creditelor acordate de banci firmelor (decembrie 2017)
- Ordonanta de Guvern nr. 21/1992 privind protectia consumatorilor (versiune actualizata)
- Regulament BNR privind institutiile emitente de moneda electronica
- Ordonanta de Urgenta (OUG) nr. 50 din 2010 privind contractele de credit pentru consumatori, actualizata
- Noul Cod Civil
- Legea 677 din 2001 privind protectia datelor personale
- Economistii Bancii Transilvania estimeaza decelerarea PIB-ului de la 7% in 2017 la 4,2% in 2018
- Cresterea economica este nesustenabila, avertizeaza economistii Bancii Transilvania
- Estimarile economice din Romania sunt modeste, in pofida conditiilor financiare bune (studiu GfK)
- National Bank of Romania could leave unchanged the key rate in 2017
- Poland: EU funds - key factor for growth next year
- Alpha Bank isi inchide sucursalele si aplicatia de online banking la ora 14 si le deschide abia luni, la 8
- OTP Bank isi anunta clientii ca trebuie sa-si actualizeze datele personale pana in 5 decembrie, altfel banca le va bloca conturile si cardurile
- Banca Transilvania inventeaza POS-uri in forma de cutii de donatii
- Programul agentiilor Raiffeisen Bank in perioada Sarbatorilor de Pasti
- CEC Bank isi informeaza clientii ca serviciile de internet banking si mobile banking nu vor functiona de vineri seara pana duminica seara
- Intrebari frecvente despre Biroul de Credit
- Lista bancilor si IFN-urilor care-si raporteaza clientii la Biroul de Credit
- Cum pot fi sters din Biroul de Credit?
- Termenul de depunere a declaratiei unice a fost prelungit pana la 31 iulie
- Romanii au cumparat titluri de stat Centenar in valoare de 786 milioane lei
- Populatia poate cumpara titluri de stat cu dobanda de 5%, de la Trezorerii sau Posta
- Titlurile de stat pentru populatie prin Programul Tezaur se vor distribui si prin Posta Romana
- Ministerul Finantelor amana cu trei luni sanctiunile pentru nedotarea magazinelor cu aparate de marcat electronice
- Clauza abuziva intr-un contract de credit al BRD
- BRD a fost obligata de judecatori sa explice cum au avut loc fraudele din 2008-2011
- BRD contesta in justitie o decizie a ANAF
- Curtea Constitutionala respinge contestatiile Credit Europe Bank la legea darii in plata
- Procesul dintre Lucian Isar si Banca Comerciala Feroviara
- Enel vrea sa-si treaca clientii pe piata libera
- Oamenii reclama ca nu pot cumpara titluri de stat Centenar la Posta prin transfer bancar sau card, ci doar cu numerar
- Vodafone si Orange, amendate de ANCOM pentru ca si-au suprataxat clientii pentru convorbirile roaming in strainatate
- Ministerul Finantelor anunta ca introduce Declaratia Unica pentru persoanele fizice care realizeaza venituri din activitati economice sau alte categorii de venituri
- Ministerul Finantelor a imprumutat 2 miliarde euro de pe pietele internationale
- Numarul fimelor active din Romania, conform statisticilor Registrului Comertului
- Evolutia istorica a cresterii anuale a Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Evolutia istorica a valorii Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Transferurile de bani ale romanilor din strainatate au ajuns la 2,1 miliarde euro anul trecut, conform statisticilor Eurostat
- Salariul mediu net si brut lunar pe economie - evolutie istorica intre in anii 1991 - 2016, conform datelor Institutului de Statistica (INS)
- ECB: Insights into the digital transformation of the retail payments ecosystem
- ECB introductory statement on Governing Council decisions
- Speech by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Sustaining openness in a dynamic global economy
- Deciziile de politica monetara ale BCE
- Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Introductory statement to the press conference (with Q&A)
- EBA launches 2018 EU-wide transparency exercise
- EBA issues first binding mediation decision between the SRB and the NBR
- Asset repricing, cyber-attacks and Brexit are key risks for EU financial markets, shows ESA report
- EBA publishes its Roadmap on FinTech
- EBA launches 2018 EU-wide stress test exercise
- Peste 80% din depozitele bancare sunt garantate
- Depozitele bancare nu intra in campania electorala
- FGDB explica modul de aplicare a procedurii de recapitalizare interna a unei banci cu depozitele negarantate ale clientilor (bail-in)
- Valoarea depozitelor garantate de FGDB a crescut cu 50 miliarde lei in ultimul an, la 221 miliarde lei in total
- FGDB aminteste ca toate conturile si depozitele din bancile romanesti sunt garantate in limita a 100.000 de euro
- IMF statement of the 2018 Article IV Mission to Romania
- Jaewoo Lee, new IMF mission chief for Romania and Bulgaria
- IMF concludes article IV consultation with Romania
- IMF statement on the stability of the banking system in Ukraine
- Global House Prices: Time to Worry Again?
- BERD dezvaluie cat a platit pe actiunile Piraeus Bank
- ING Bank si BERD finanteaza parcul logistic CTPark Bucharest
- EBRD hails Moldova banking breakthrough
- Banca Transilvania and EBRD become majority shareholders of Victoriabank in Moldova
- BERD devine actionar Agricover Holding
- Federal Reserve urca dobanda la 2,25%
- Federal Reserve decided to maintain the target range for the federal funds rate at 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 percent
- Federal Reserve majoreaza dobanda de referinta pentru dolar la 1,5% - 1,75%
- Federal Reserve issues FOMC statement
- A Challenging Decade and a Question for the Future (speech by Janet Yellen, The Fed chair)
- Romania implements SME Initiative: EUR 580 m for Romanian businesses
- European Investment Bank (EIB) is lending EUR 20 million to Agricover Credit IFN
- Cardul de masa BT poate fi inregistrat in BT Pay, pentru platile cu telefonul
- BCR a lansat noua platforma de online banking, George
- BBVA ofera open banking
- Horum Bank, banca poloneza bazata pe tehnologia blockchain
- Nicio zi la ING fara o problema la Home Bank
- Obligatiunile Bancii Transilvania se tranzactioneaza la Bursa de Valori Bucuresti
- Obligatiunile Good Pople SA (FRU21) au debutat pe piata AeRO
- BVB avertizeaza doua firme ca nu si-au respectat obligatiile de raportare
- Raiffeisen Centrobank (RCB) a lansat produse de investitii tip warrant la BVB
- BVB a initiat procesul de fuziune cu Sibex
- Infringements: Commission refers Greece, Ireland and Romania to the Court of Justice for not implementing anti-money laundering rules
- Council of the European Union statement on Bulgaria path towards ERM II participation
- Romania, pe ultimul loc in Europa la digitalizare
- Platile in euro vor avea aceleasi comisioane ca cele in lei, a decis Comisia Europeana
- Comisia Europeana prezinta un plan de actiune pentru tehnologiile financiare (FinTech)
Libra pare avantajoasa
Eu din ce vad Libra ar parea cea mai avantajoasa (daca nu retragi bani din ... detalii
SOLDUL DE PE CARD
Card de ... detalii
vreau sa fiu sters din birouri de credite cat de repede daca se ... detalii
Am nevoe de bani va rog sa ma ajutati
Ce sanse are un self employed in uk la un credit ipotecar in ... detalii