Assessing the new phase of unconventional monetary policy at the ECB, by Vítor Constâncio, Vice-President of the ECB
Assessing the new phase of unconventional monetary policy at the ECB
Panel remarks prepared by Vítor Constâncio, Vice-President of the ECB,
at the Annual Congress of the European Economic Association
University of Mannheim, 25 August 2015
It is a great pleasure to participate in this policy panel and to share the stage with such distinguished fellow participants.
My plan today is to present some key features of the monetary policy measures recently implemented by the ECB. As you all know, in January this year the ECB launched the most recent addition to its suite of tools – the public sector purchase programme (PSPP), popularly referred to as quantitative easing. Together with a programme of targeted liquidity provision and a programme of private sector asset purchases, the PSPP marked a new phase of the ECB’s unconventional monetary policy.
Previous non-standard measures were mainly aimed at redressing impairments in the monetary policy transmission mechanism and fostering a regular pass-through of the monetary policy stance. Their implications for the ECB’s balance sheet were accommodated in a merely passive way to satisfy the liquidity demand created by banks. In contrast, with the new measures implemented since June 2014, the Governing Council is more actively steering the size of the ECB’s balance sheet towards much higher levels in order to avoid the risks of too prolonged a period of low inflation in a situation where policy rates have reached their effective lower bound.
General considerations underlying the new phase of unconventional monetary policy
The launch of the new phase of non-standard measures in June 2014 must be viewed in the context of the decline in inflation rates since the second half of 2013, which was accompanied by persistently fragile euro area growth prospects, even after the sovereign debt crisis abated over the course of 2012. The economy was still in recession for most of 2013 and annual GDP growth figures only became positive in late 2013, leaving significant economic slack.
A weak recovery took hold over the course of 2014 with growth rates around and below 1%, but the outlook deteriorated again during the autumn, with inflation turning negative later that year. The 2015 GDP growth forecasts for the euro area in the ECB staff macroeconomic projections had declined from 1.7% in June to 1% by December.
At the same time, and in contrast to previous developments, weak growth was accompanied by a prolonged period of declining inflation, which went from 3% at the end of 2011 to -0.2% in December 2014. Credit supply conditions in the euro area remained tight, despite signs of improvement, as indicated by the responses to bank lending surveys. These developments were particularly worrying because they were accompanied by a decline in longer-term inflation expectations.
This combination of very low growth in both output and prices was clearly suggestive of a shortfall in aggregate demand and called for further easing of the monetary policy stance. Key ECB interest rates reached their lower bound – with a negative rate for the deposit facility – and further unconventional measures were deployed, drawing in part on the experience of other central banks. Besides lowering key interest rates in June and September 2014, which took the deposit facility rate into negative territory, the Governing Council has implemented the following set of unconventional monetary policy measures over the past year.
In June 2014, as part of a set of credit easing measures, the Governing Council announced the introduction of targeted longer-term refinancing operations (TLTROs), offering medium-term credit at fixed rates to banks that are willing to extend credit to the private sector.
In September and October 2014 the Governing Council initiated a programme of outright purchases of private sector assets, in particular of covered bonds and asset-backed securities.
In January 2015 the Governing Council expanded the purchase programme to include public sector assets. The Governing Council explicitly committed to purchasing a total amount of EUR 60 billion every month from March 2015 until at least until September 2016. Furthermore, the Governing Council has kept the programme open-ended by committing to keep it in place until we see a sustained adjustment in the path of inflation that is consistent with our medium-term inflation objective.
The programme aims to maintain market neutrality by purchasing assets across the whole maturity spectrum between two and 30 years. The purchases are allocated across countries according to the ECB’s capital key and any losses emanating from the programmes would be shared between the national central banks and the ECB in an 80%/20% ratio.
The effects of the measures have to be assessed jointly and taking into consideration that some of the measures started to produce results before the decisions were actually taken. This is particularly true of the PSPP, which was adopted in January; a survey of market participants conducted in October 2014 showed that over 50% were already anticipating that such a programme would shortly be adopted.
The distinguishing feature of the new phase of our unconventional monetary policy is the switch to a more active steering of the ECB’s balance sheet.
Adauga un comentariu
Adauga un comentariu folosind contul de Facebook
Alte stiri din categoria: Noutati BCE
Mario Draghi, President of the ECB,
Vítor Constâncio, Vice-President of the ECB,
Frankfurt am Main, 14 December 2017 INTRODUCTORY STATEMENT Ladies and gentlemen, the Vice-President and I are very pleased to welcome you to our press detalii
Sustaining openness in a dynamic global economy Speech by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB, at the Economic Policy Symposium of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, Jackson Hole, 25 August 2017 The global recovery is firming up. In some countries detalii
Decizii de politică monetară (comunicat de presa al BCE) În ședința de astăzi, Consiliul guvernatorilor BCE a hotărât ca rata dobânzii la operațiunile principale de refinanțare și ratele dobânzilor la facilitatea de creditare marginală detalii
Mario Draghi, President of the ECB, Vítor Constâncio, Vice-President of the ECB, Frankfurt am Main, 9 March 2017 Introductory statement to the press conference (with Q&A): Ladies and gentlemen, the Vice-President and I are very pleased to detalii
Jakub Dusilek, Vicepresedinte Executiv pentru divizia Global Banking Services (GBS)
Nascut in 1974 in Ostrava, Republica Ceha, Jakub ... vezi profil
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2017
- Topul bancilor cu cele mai mici comisioane la contul curent cu card si online banking
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2016
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2015
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2014
- ROBOR-ul reactioneaza la restrictiile de creditare ale BNR
- Roborul profita de Isarescu
- ROBOR la 6 luni - evolutie istorica
- BNR propune Parlamentului plafonarea dobanzilor la creditele bancilor intre 1,5 si 4 ori peste DAE medie, in functie de tipul creditului; in cazul IFN-urilor, plafonarea dobanzilor nu se justifica
- Legile privind plafonarea dobanzilor la credite si a datoriilor preluate de firmele de recuperare se discuta in Parlament (actualizat)
- Legea privind plafonarea dobanzilor la credite nu a fost inclusa pe ordinea de zi a comisiilor din Camera Deputatilor
- Senatorul Zamfir, despre plafonarea dobanzilor la credite: numai bou-i consecvent!
- Parlamentul dezbate marti legile de plafonare a dobanzilor la credite si a datoriilor cesionate de banci firmelor de recuperare (actualizat)
- Creditele noi acordate de banci au crescut in februarie, dupa cinci luni consecutive de scadere
- Numarul restantierilor din Biroul de Credit urca la cel mai ridicat nivel din ultimele sase luni
- Cate credite noi in euro au acordat bancile in 2017
- Statisticile creditelor acordate de banci populatiei (decembrie 2017)
- Statisticile creditelor acordate de banci firmelor (decembrie 2017)
- Ordonanta de Guvern nr. 21/1992 privind protectia consumatorilor (versiune actualizata)
- Regulament BNR privind institutiile emitente de moneda electronica
- Ordonanta de Urgenta (OUG) nr. 50 din 2010 privind contractele de credit pentru consumatori, actualizata
- Noul Cod Civil
- Legea 677 din 2001 privind protectia datelor personale
- Economistii Bancii Transilvania estimeaza decelerarea PIB-ului de la 7% in 2017 la 4,2% in 2018
- Cresterea economica este nesustenabila, avertizeaza economistii Bancii Transilvania
- Estimarile economice din Romania sunt modeste, in pofida conditiilor financiare bune (studiu GfK)
- National Bank of Romania could leave unchanged the key rate in 2017
- Poland: EU funds - key factor for growth next year
- Alpha Bank isi inchide sucursalele si aplicatia de online banking la ora 14 si le deschide abia luni, la 8
- OTP Bank isi anunta clientii ca trebuie sa-si actualizeze datele personale pana in 5 decembrie, altfel banca le va bloca conturile si cardurile
- Banca Transilvania inventeaza POS-uri in forma de cutii de donatii
- Programul agentiilor Raiffeisen Bank in perioada Sarbatorilor de Pasti
- CEC Bank isi informeaza clientii ca serviciile de internet banking si mobile banking nu vor functiona de vineri seara pana duminica seara
- Intrebari frecvente despre Biroul de Credit
- Lista bancilor si IFN-urilor care-si raporteaza clientii la Biroul de Credit
- Cum pot fi sters din Biroul de Credit?
- Termenul de depunere a declaratiei unice a fost prelungit pana la 31 iulie
- Romanii au cumparat titluri de stat Centenar in valoare de 786 milioane lei
- Populatia poate cumpara titluri de stat cu dobanda de 5%, de la Trezorerii sau Posta
- Titlurile de stat pentru populatie prin Programul Tezaur se vor distribui si prin Posta Romana
- Ministerul Finantelor amana cu trei luni sanctiunile pentru nedotarea magazinelor cu aparate de marcat electronice
- Clauza abuziva intr-un contract de credit al BRD
- BRD a fost obligata de judecatori sa explice cum au avut loc fraudele din 2008-2011
- BRD contesta in justitie o decizie a ANAF
- Curtea Constitutionala respinge contestatiile Credit Europe Bank la legea darii in plata
- Procesul dintre Lucian Isar si Banca Comerciala Feroviara
- Enel vrea sa-si treaca clientii pe piata libera
- Oamenii reclama ca nu pot cumpara titluri de stat Centenar la Posta prin transfer bancar sau card, ci doar cu numerar
- Vodafone si Orange, amendate de ANCOM pentru ca si-au suprataxat clientii pentru convorbirile roaming in strainatate
- Ministerul Finantelor anunta ca introduce Declaratia Unica pentru persoanele fizice care realizeaza venituri din activitati economice sau alte categorii de venituri
- Ministerul Finantelor a imprumutat 2 miliarde euro de pe pietele internationale
- Numarul fimelor active din Romania, conform statisticilor Registrului Comertului
- Evolutia istorica a cresterii anuale a Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Evolutia istorica a valorii Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Transferurile de bani ale romanilor din strainatate au ajuns la 2,1 miliarde euro anul trecut, conform statisticilor Eurostat
- Salariul mediu net si brut lunar pe economie - evolutie istorica intre in anii 1991 - 2016, conform datelor Institutului de Statistica (INS)
- ECB: Insights into the digital transformation of the retail payments ecosystem
- ECB introductory statement on Governing Council decisions
- Speech by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Sustaining openness in a dynamic global economy
- Deciziile de politica monetara ale BCE
- Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Introductory statement to the press conference (with Q&A)
- EBA launches 2018 EU-wide transparency exercise
- EBA issues first binding mediation decision between the SRB and the NBR
- Asset repricing, cyber-attacks and Brexit are key risks for EU financial markets, shows ESA report
- EBA publishes its Roadmap on FinTech
- EBA launches 2018 EU-wide stress test exercise
- Peste 80% din depozitele bancare sunt garantate
- Depozitele bancare nu intra in campania electorala
- FGDB explica modul de aplicare a procedurii de recapitalizare interna a unei banci cu depozitele negarantate ale clientilor (bail-in)
- Valoarea depozitelor garantate de FGDB a crescut cu 50 miliarde lei in ultimul an, la 221 miliarde lei in total
- FGDB aminteste ca toate conturile si depozitele din bancile romanesti sunt garantate in limita a 100.000 de euro
- IMF statement of the 2018 Article IV Mission to Romania
- Jaewoo Lee, new IMF mission chief for Romania and Bulgaria
- IMF concludes article IV consultation with Romania
- IMF statement on the stability of the banking system in Ukraine
- Global House Prices: Time to Worry Again?
- BERD dezvaluie cat a platit pe actiunile Piraeus Bank
- ING Bank si BERD finanteaza parcul logistic CTPark Bucharest
- EBRD hails Moldova banking breakthrough
- Banca Transilvania and EBRD become majority shareholders of Victoriabank in Moldova
- BERD devine actionar Agricover Holding
- Federal Reserve urca dobanda la 2,25%
- Federal Reserve decided to maintain the target range for the federal funds rate at 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 percent
- Federal Reserve majoreaza dobanda de referinta pentru dolar la 1,5% - 1,75%
- Federal Reserve issues FOMC statement
- A Challenging Decade and a Question for the Future (speech by Janet Yellen, The Fed chair)
- Romania implements SME Initiative: EUR 580 m for Romanian businesses
- European Investment Bank (EIB) is lending EUR 20 million to Agricover Credit IFN
- Cardul de masa BT poate fi inregistrat in BT Pay, pentru platile cu telefonul
- BCR a lansat noua platforma de online banking, George
- BBVA ofera open banking
- Horum Bank, banca poloneza bazata pe tehnologia blockchain
- Nicio zi la ING fara o problema la Home Bank
- Obligatiunile Bancii Transilvania se tranzactioneaza la Bursa de Valori Bucuresti
- Obligatiunile Good Pople SA (FRU21) au debutat pe piata AeRO
- BVB avertizeaza doua firme ca nu si-au respectat obligatiile de raportare
- Raiffeisen Centrobank (RCB) a lansat produse de investitii tip warrant la BVB
- BVB a initiat procesul de fuziune cu Sibex
- Infringements: Commission refers Greece, Ireland and Romania to the Court of Justice for not implementing anti-money laundering rules
- Council of the European Union statement on Bulgaria path towards ERM II participation
- Romania, pe ultimul loc in Europa la digitalizare
- Platile in euro vor avea aceleasi comisioane ca cele in lei, a decis Comisia Europeana
- Comisia Europeana prezinta un plan de actiune pentru tehnologiile financiare (FinTech)