Report on Risks and Vulnerabilities in the EU Financial System published by European Supervisory Authorities (ESAs)
The Joint Committee of the European Supervisory Authorities (ESAs) published today its September 2016 Report on Risks and Vulnerabilities in the EU Financial System.
This Report focuses on recent developments concerning the low growth and low yield environment and its potential effects on financial institutions' profitability and asset quality, and highlights concerns related to the interconnectedness in the EU financial system.
These risks have persisted for some time and can be related to lasting effects of the 2007 financial crisis. However, the EU financial system is also vulnerable to more immediate risks such as the result of the UK referendum on EU membership which has added political and legal uncertainties to those already affecting the financial system.
Gabriel Bernardino, Chairman of EIOPA and the current Chair of the Joint Committee, said:
"The Joint Committee proactively considers key risks to financial stability and assesses risk mitigation policies in cooperation with national and European institutions. We are considering the possibilities for further enhancing monitoring of financial industries, reinforcing adequate capital or risk buffers as well as ensuring adequate resolution arrangements for affected sectors.
The Joint Committee is committed to providing a strong and streamlined supervisory response both on a micro- and macro prudential level, which is required by the challenging economic environment."
Low growth and low yield environment
Low growth and low yields affect the financial services industry through various channels. Interest rates and growth expectations have decreased further and are posing new challenges to the entire financial sector.
Low interest margins significantly constrain banks' profitability, while life insurers' and pension funds' liabilities increase as it becomes more difficult to generate high investment returns. This environment may lead banks, insurers, pension funds and other investors to engage in risky search-for-yield behaviour, adding to already elevated risks around asset valuation and adjacent concerns about market liquidity.
The Joint Committee considers it essential to further develop effective recovery and resolution schemes in all relevant sectors, to employ adequate stress testing procedures and to enhance the monitoring of relevant risk drivers.
Profitability of financial institutions
Low quality of assets in many countries, conduct costs and growing competition from non-bank and non-insurance financial institutions negatively affect the profitability of banks and insurers. Subdued returns, further lowered by fees and charges, reduce the attractiveness of investment funds. While the EU-wide bank stress test results have demonstrated the importance of a better capitalised banking system, the high levels of non-performing lands (NPLs) exacerbate concerns about medium-terms sustainability.
Addressing NPLs as a major driver of uncertainties in the financial system has become a key challenge, and further NPL resolution requires comprehensive and proactive action among all relevant stakeholders. Following the UK referendum, profitability risks may be further intensified.
Expectations of weaker macroeconomic conditions are amplified by growing political risks within the EU and globally. In addition, traditional financial service providers are facing increasing competition from Fintech providers which will further challenge the sustainability of their business models.
Responding to this risk, supervisors need to encourage steps to adjust business models in search for sustainable income, to address excess capacities as well as to monitor and assess the impact of emerging innovative technologies and market practices.
Interconnectedness within the financial system
The interconnectedness between the financial sector outside of the banking, insurance and pension fund industries with the wider financial system is increasing, as cross-sectoral exposures, asset price commonalities and the interdependency of business processes augment.
The Joint Committee considers that related stability risks should be assessed thoroughly to mitigate the increasing risk exposure outside the traditional financial system.
The Joint Committee is a forum for cooperation that was established on 1 January 2011, with the goal of strengthening cooperation between the European Banking Authority (EBA), European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) and European Insurance and Occupational Pensions Authority (EIOPA), collectively known as the three European Supervisory Authorities (ESAs).
Through the Joint Committee, the three ESAs cooperate regularly and closely to ensure consistency in their practices. In particular, the Joint Committee works in the areas of supervision of financial conglomerates, accounting and auditing, micro-prudential analyses of cross-sectoral developments, risks and vulnerabilities for financial stability, retail investment products and measures combating money laundering. In addition, the Joint Committee also plays an important role in the exchange of information with the European Systemic Risk Board (ESRB).
Source: EBA statement
Adauga un comentariu
Adauga un comentariu folosind contul de Facebook
Alte stiri din categoria: Noutati EBA
The securities, banking and insurance sectors in the European Union (EU) face multiple risks, the latest report on risks and vulnerabilities by the Joint Committee of the European Supervisory Authorities (ESAs) shows. detalii
The European Banking Authority (EBA) published a FinTech Roadmap setting out its priorities for 2018/2019. The Roadmap also sets out the establishment of a FinTech Knowledge Hub to enhance knowledge sharing and foster technological neutrality in regulatory and supervisory approaches.
The European Banking Authority (EBA) launched today its 2018 EU-wide stress test and released the macroeconomic scenarios, said EBA in a statement. The adverse scenario implies a deviation of EU GDP from its baseline level by 8.3% in 2020, resulting in the most severe scenario to date. detalii
The Joint Committee of the three European Supervisory Authorities (EBA, EIOPA and ESMA - ESAs) published today an Opinion on the use of innovative solutions by credit and financial institutions when complying with their customer due diligence (CDD) obligations. This Opinion is part of detalii
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2016
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2015
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2014
- Cota de piata a bancilor dupa active la finalul anului 2013, conform datelor BNR
- Topul bancilor cu cele mai mici comisioane la internet banking
- BNR propune Parlamentului plafonarea dobanzilor la creditele bancilor intre 1,5 si 4 ori peste DAE medie, in functie de tipul creditului; in cazul IFN-urilor, plafonarea dobanzilor nu se justifica
- Legile privind plafonarea dobanzilor la credite si a datoriilor preluate de firmele de recuperare se discuta in Parlament (actualizat)
- Legea privind plafonarea dobanzilor la credite nu a fost inclusa pe ordinea de zi a comisiilor din Camera Deputatilor
- Senatorul Zamfir, despre plafonarea dobanzilor la credite: numai bou-i consecvent!
- Parlamentul dezbate marti legile de plafonare a dobanzilor la credite si a datoriilor cesionate de banci firmelor de recuperare (actualizat)
- Creditele noi acordate de banci au crescut in februarie, dupa cinci luni consecutive de scadere
- Numarul restantierilor din Biroul de Credit urca la cel mai ridicat nivel din ultimele sase luni
- Cate credite noi in euro au acordat bancile in 2017
- Statisticile creditelor acordate de banci populatiei (decembrie 2017)
- Statisticile creditelor acordate de banci firmelor (decembrie 2017)
- Ordonanta de Urgenta (OUG) nr. 50 din 2010 privind contractele de credit pentru consumatori, actualizata
- Noul Cod Civil
- Legea 677 din 2001 privind protectia datelor personale
- Directiva privind Serviciile de Plata (PSD)
- Hotararea Guvernului nr. 2/2018 pentru modificarea si completarea Hotararii Guvernului nr. 717/2009 privind aprobarea normelor de implementare a programului "Prima casa"
- Economistii Bancii Transilvania estimeaza decelerarea PIB-ului de la 7% in 2017 la 4,2% in 2018
- Cresterea economica este nesustenabila, avertizeaza economistii Bancii Transilvania
- Estimarile economice din Romania sunt modeste, in pofida conditiilor financiare bune (studiu GfK)
- National Bank of Romania could leave unchanged the key rate in 2017
- Poland: EU funds - key factor for growth next year
- Banca Transilvania inventeaza POS-uri in forma de cutii de donatii
- Programul agentiilor Raiffeisen Bank in perioada Sarbatorilor de Pasti
- CEC Bank isi informeaza clientii ca serviciile de internet banking si mobile banking nu vor functiona de vineri seara pana duminica seara
- HSBC, by first direct and Bud, is trialling an open banking app model
- Probleme cu autorizarea platilor online cu carduri Mastercard si Maestro
- Populatia poate cumpara titluri de stat cu dobanda de 5%, de la Trezorerii sau Posta
- Titlurile de stat pentru populatie prin Programul Tezaur se vor distribui si prin Posta Romana
- Ministerul Finantelor amana cu trei luni sanctiunile pentru nedotarea magazinelor cu aparate de marcat electronice
- Ministerul Finantelor ne spune cum se completeaza, depune si transmite declaratia unica
- MFP simplifica si eficientizeaza achizitiile publice
- Lista bancilor si IFN-urilor care-si raporteaza clientii la Biroul de Credit
- Cum pot fi sters din Biroul de Credit?
- Curtea Constitutionala respinge contestatiile Credit Europe Bank la legea darii in plata
- Procesul dintre Lucian Isar si Banca Comerciala Feroviara
- Raiffeisen Bank pierde un proces cu ANPC
- Instanta constata caracterul abuziv al dobanzii variabile din contractele de credit ale BCR
- Clauze abuzive in contractele de credit ale Raiffeisen
- Vodafone si Orange, amendate de ANCOM pentru ca si-au suprataxat clientii pentru convorbirile roaming in strainatate
- Ministerul Finantelor anunta ca introduce Declaratia Unica pentru persoanele fizice care realizeaza venituri din activitati economice sau alte categorii de venituri
- Ministerul Finantelor a imprumutat 2 miliarde euro de pe pietele internationale
- Ministerul Finantelor pregateste noi formulare de plata a CAS si CASS, in locul Declaratiei 600
- Guvernul a alocat garantii de 2 miliarde lei pentru Programul Prima Casa in 2018
- Numarul fimelor active din Romania, conform statisticilor Registrului Comertului
- Evolutia istorica a cresterii anuale a Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Evolutia istorica a valorii Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Transferurile de bani ale romanilor din strainatate au ajuns la 2,1 miliarde euro anul trecut, conform statisticilor Eurostat
- Salariul mediu net si brut lunar pe economie - evolutie istorica intre in anii 1991 - 2016, conform datelor Institutului de Statistica (INS)
- ECB: Insights into the digital transformation of the retail payments ecosystem
- ECB introductory statement on Governing Council decisions
- Speech by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Sustaining openness in a dynamic global economy
- Deciziile de politica monetara ale BCE
- Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Introductory statement to the press conference (with Q&A)
- EBA issues first binding mediation decision between the SRB and the NBR
- Asset repricing, cyber-attacks and Brexit are key risks for EU financial markets, shows ESA report
- EBA publishes its Roadmap on FinTech
- EBA launches 2018 EU-wide stress test exercise
- Opinion on the use of innovative solutions in the customer due diligence process
- Peste 80% din depozitele bancare sunt garantate
- Depozitele bancare nu intra in campania electorala
- FGDB explica modul de aplicare a procedurii de recapitalizare interna a unei banci cu depozitele negarantate ale clientilor (bail-in)
- Valoarea depozitelor garantate de FGDB a crescut cu 50 miliarde lei in ultimul an, la 221 miliarde lei in total
- FGDB aminteste ca toate conturile si depozitele din bancile romanesti sunt garantate in limita a 100.000 de euro
- IMF statement of the 2018 Article IV Mission to Romania
- Jaewoo Lee, new IMF mission chief for Romania and Bulgaria
- IMF concludes article IV consultation with Romania
- IMF statement on the stability of the banking system in Ukraine
- Global House Prices: Time to Worry Again?
- ING Bank si BERD finanteaza parcul logistic CTPark Bucharest
- EBRD hails Moldova banking breakthrough
- Banca Transilvania and EBRD become majority shareholders of Victoriabank in Moldova
- BERD devine actionar Agricover Holding
- Life satisfaction: the pursuit of happiness - EBRD study
- Federal Reserve decided to maintain the target range for the federal funds rate at 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 percent
- Federal Reserve majoreaza dobanda de referinta pentru dolar la 1,5% - 1,75%
- Federal Reserve issues FOMC statement
- A Challenging Decade and a Question for the Future (speech by Janet Yellen, The Fed chair)
- Janet Yellen speech: Financial Stability a Decade after the Onset of the Crisis
- Romania implements SME Initiative: EUR 580 m for Romanian businesses
- European Investment Bank (EIB) is lending EUR 20 million to Agricover Credit IFN
- Romania, pe ultimul loc in Europa la digitalizare
- Platile in euro vor avea aceleasi comisioane ca cele in lei, a decis Comisia Europeana
- Comisia Europeana prezinta un plan de actiune pentru tehnologiile financiare (FinTech)
- Obligatiunile Good Pople SA (FRU21) au debutat pe piata AeRO
- BVB avertizeaza doua firme ca nu si-au respectat obligatiile de raportare
- Raiffeisen Centrobank (RCB) a lansat produse de investitii tip warrant la BVB
- BVB a initiat procesul de fuziune cu Sibex
nike kaishi 2.0 print ... detalii
nike free 4.0 ... detalii
Buna ziua ! As vrea sa cumpar titluri de stat CENTENAR de la posta de care apartin dar ce sa vezi ... detalii
Domnul Nelu ati rezolvat ceva pana la ... detalii
Buna ziua,lucrez de 4 ani in Germania dar nu la aceiasi firma,pot lua un credit daca nu am contract ... detalii