Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: The economic policy of Federico Caffè in our times
The economic policy of Federico Caffè in our times
Speech by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB,
to mark the centenary of the birth of Federico Caffè at the Lecture room of the School of Economics and Business Studies “Federico Caffè”,
Rome, 12 November 2014
Knowledge of the real world: institutional, social, behavioural; indignation about what, in this reality, violated fundamental ethical principles, or even economic rationality, when he saw stupidity inclined to serve greed; an authoritative call to action to jointly reprove a passive acceptance of reality; what to do about both inequities and inefficiencies: this was the economic policy of Federico Caffè and this is now economic policy in its supreme form.
This is his full and complex personality, which responds to reality with reason, with passion, with action, and which feels the need to share all this with his students, and which has made him unforgettable.
We students (I graduated under his guidance in 1970 with a thesis on the Werner Plan, the forerunner of the single currency, in which I argued that the conditions for its implementation did not exist at that time), we have experienced certainly different professional lives, also because of the different interpretations we have given of his teachings, but united in the belief that economic policy meant an analysis of reality, a denial of its distortion and use of our knowledge to remedy it.
It is with this legacy of thought that we are confronted. And today I want to share with you the action that the ECB has taken to respond to the crisis in which the euro area, and especially Italy, has found itself for many years now.
The current unacceptable level of unemployment – 23% of young people aged between 15 and 24 years do not have a job – conflicts with any notion of fairness, is the greatest waste of resources, inflicts damage on human capital, affects the potential of economies, pushing down growth for years to come.
This unemployment has its origins first in the great recession which has touched all the advanced economies; then in the sovereign debt crisis which has concentrated the job losses in those countries where the debt and the public deficit were higher, where the fiscal instruments of macroeconomic stabilisation have been paralysed by the need to show to investors that the debt, despite the crisis, was sustainable; in those countries where the transmission mechanism of monetary policy has stopped working, causing a credit crunch that has further aggravated the crisis.
Cyclical factors have thus played an important role in increasing unemployment.
The ECB has reacted to the crisis on three fronts. As for “conventional” monetary policy, it has cut interest rates from 1.5% in November 2011 to 0.5% today. It has reduced the interest rate paid by banks on their deposits at the ECB from 0.75% in November 2011 to -0.20% today. It also activated at the end of 2011 credit lines for the banking system amounting to €1 trillion and with an unprecedented maturity of three years. Subsequently, facing the re-emergence of the sovereign debt crisis and a serious crisis of confidence about the survival of the euro, it introduced the now famous outright monetary transaction programme which has helped to rapidly reduce uncertainty in the financial markets in the euro area and to realign spreads with the credit rating. More recently, it has introduced a further three measures of unconventional monetary policy: the TLTROs, credit lines of up to four years that can be used by banks for loans to households and businesses; two programmes for the purchase of covered bonds and ABS with the aim being to further expand liquidity via operations directed towards the real economy. All these policy actions, accompanied by the expected maintenance of interest rates at their current level for a long period of time and an ongoing expansion of the ECB’s balance sheet, together with the commitment by the Governing Council to take further unconventional policy actions should medium-term inflation expectations worsen or if the measures already decided on prove to be insufficient, has led to an unprecedented degree of monetary accommodation. Today, all the current and expected market interest rates over all horizons are lower than they have ever been, and lower than they are today in the United States.
But most of the measures taken may have effects on the real economy only through banks, which in the euro area intermediate about 80% of the credit. Only if they pass on to households and businesses the extraordinarily accommodative conditions in terms of interest rate, the maturity, the quantity that the ECB offers them, will monetary policy be fully effective with its stimulus. For that to happen it is not only necessary for there to be demand for credit from customers able to repay it, but that they [the banks] themselves are healthy. It is to this end that the ECB, on the eve of becoming the single supervisor for the euro area, together with all the national supervisory authorities, launched a year ago the recently completed comprehensive assessment of the 130 most significant European banks.
Another obstacle has thus been removed to the contribution that the ECB’s monetary policy can make to reviving growth.
Monetary policy has done and will continue to do its part but it is not enough. On the demand side, just bear in mind that since 2007 private investment in the euro area has fallen by 15% and public investment by 12%.
Let’s not forget that in some countries of the euro area unemployment was already high even before the crisis. At the same time there is ample evidence that a significant proportion of the current unemployment is structural.
A fiscal policy which, in compliance with the existing rules, may see more investment and lower taxes, together with an accommodative monetary policy are not enough to generate a revival of strong and sustainable growth without the necessary structural reforms in product and labour markets.
Increased competition, the completion of Europe’s single market, measures which would allow unemployed workers to quickly find a new job, thus reducing the period of unemployment, measures which would raise the level of specialisation and adapt it to the demand have long been on the economic policy agenda of many euro area countries: may the thought now make way for action.
It is clear that both demand and supply side policies are necessary.
The lesson of 2012 has taught us that the crisis of confidence in the euro was also caused by uncertainty about the future of the single currency – which turned out to be unfounded. Amid this uncertainty, European leaders responded in June 2012 by creating the banking union which led to the ECB becoming the single supervisor. This was the most important act of integration that has ever been decided on since the creation of the euro.
Ties that endure need a solid basis of mutual trust. The euro area countries have in recent years greatly strengthened their ties and correspondingly expanded the basis of trust on which they rest: the single monetary policy, with common fiscal rules, now with a banking union and a single banking supervision and soon with a common capital market.
Our experience shows that sharing national sovereignty is a precondition for lasting trust in planning our shared European journey.
Adauga un comentariu
Adauga un comentariu folosind contul de Facebook
Alte stiri din categoria: Noutati BCE
Mario Draghi, President of the ECB,
Vítor Constâncio, Vice-President of the ECB,
Frankfurt am Main, 14 December 2017 INTRODUCTORY STATEMENT Ladies and gentlemen, the Vice-President and I are very pleased to welcome you to our press detalii
Sustaining openness in a dynamic global economy Speech by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB, at the Economic Policy Symposium of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, Jackson Hole, 25 August 2017 The global recovery is firming up. In some countries detalii
Decizii de politică monetară (comunicat de presa al BCE) În ședința de astăzi, Consiliul guvernatorilor BCE a hotărât ca rata dobânzii la operațiunile principale de refinanțare și ratele dobânzilor la facilitatea de creditare marginală detalii
Mario Draghi, President of the ECB, Vítor Constâncio, Vice-President of the ECB, Frankfurt am Main, 9 March 2017 Introductory statement to the press conference (with Q&A): Ladies and gentlemen, the Vice-President and I are very pleased to detalii
Florin Kubinski, Vicepresedinte responsabil pe zona financiara
Florin Kubinski (53 de ani) are o experienţă de ... vezi profil
- Topul bancilor cu cele mai mici comisioane la contul curent cu card si online banking
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2016
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2015
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2014
- Cota de piata a bancilor dupa active la finalul anului 2013, conform datelor BNR
- BNR propune Parlamentului plafonarea dobanzilor la creditele bancilor intre 1,5 si 4 ori peste DAE medie, in functie de tipul creditului; in cazul IFN-urilor, plafonarea dobanzilor nu se justifica
- Legile privind plafonarea dobanzilor la credite si a datoriilor preluate de firmele de recuperare se discuta in Parlament (actualizat)
- Legea privind plafonarea dobanzilor la credite nu a fost inclusa pe ordinea de zi a comisiilor din Camera Deputatilor
- Senatorul Zamfir, despre plafonarea dobanzilor la credite: numai bou-i consecvent!
- Parlamentul dezbate marti legile de plafonare a dobanzilor la credite si a datoriilor cesionate de banci firmelor de recuperare (actualizat)
- Creditele noi acordate de banci au crescut in februarie, dupa cinci luni consecutive de scadere
- Numarul restantierilor din Biroul de Credit urca la cel mai ridicat nivel din ultimele sase luni
- Cate credite noi in euro au acordat bancile in 2017
- Statisticile creditelor acordate de banci populatiei (decembrie 2017)
- Statisticile creditelor acordate de banci firmelor (decembrie 2017)
- Regulament BNR privind institutiile emitente de moneda electronica
- Ordonanta de Urgenta (OUG) nr. 50 din 2010 privind contractele de credit pentru consumatori, actualizata
- Noul Cod Civil
- Legea 677 din 2001 privind protectia datelor personale
- Directiva privind Serviciile de Plata (PSD)
- Economistii Bancii Transilvania estimeaza decelerarea PIB-ului de la 7% in 2017 la 4,2% in 2018
- Cresterea economica este nesustenabila, avertizeaza economistii Bancii Transilvania
- Estimarile economice din Romania sunt modeste, in pofida conditiilor financiare bune (studiu GfK)
- National Bank of Romania could leave unchanged the key rate in 2017
- Poland: EU funds - key factor for growth next year
- Banca Transilvania inventeaza POS-uri in forma de cutii de donatii
- Programul agentiilor Raiffeisen Bank in perioada Sarbatorilor de Pasti
- CEC Bank isi informeaza clientii ca serviciile de internet banking si mobile banking nu vor functiona de vineri seara pana duminica seara
- HSBC, by first direct and Bud, is trialling an open banking app model
- Probleme cu autorizarea platilor online cu carduri Mastercard si Maestro
- Termenul de depunere a declaratiei unice a fost prelungit pana la 31 iulie
- Romanii au cumparat titluri de stat Centenar in valoare de 786 milioane lei
- Populatia poate cumpara titluri de stat cu dobanda de 5%, de la Trezorerii sau Posta
- Titlurile de stat pentru populatie prin Programul Tezaur se vor distribui si prin Posta Romana
- Ministerul Finantelor amana cu trei luni sanctiunile pentru nedotarea magazinelor cu aparate de marcat electronice
- Intrebari frecvente despre Biroul de Credit
- Lista bancilor si IFN-urilor care-si raporteaza clientii la Biroul de Credit
- Cum pot fi sters din Biroul de Credit?
- BRD a fost obligata de judecatori sa explice cum au avut loc fraudele din 2008-2011
- BRD contesta in justitie o decizie a ANAF
- Curtea Constitutionala respinge contestatiile Credit Europe Bank la legea darii in plata
- Procesul dintre Lucian Isar si Banca Comerciala Feroviara
- Raiffeisen Bank pierde un proces cu ANPC
- Oamenii reclama ca nu pot cumpara titluri de stat Centenar la Posta prin transfer bancar sau card, ci doar cu numerar
- Vodafone si Orange, amendate de ANCOM pentru ca si-au suprataxat clientii pentru convorbirile roaming in strainatate
- Ministerul Finantelor anunta ca introduce Declaratia Unica pentru persoanele fizice care realizeaza venituri din activitati economice sau alte categorii de venituri
- Ministerul Finantelor a imprumutat 2 miliarde euro de pe pietele internationale
- Ministerul Finantelor pregateste noi formulare de plata a CAS si CASS, in locul Declaratiei 600
- Numarul fimelor active din Romania, conform statisticilor Registrului Comertului
- Evolutia istorica a cresterii anuale a Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Evolutia istorica a valorii Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Transferurile de bani ale romanilor din strainatate au ajuns la 2,1 miliarde euro anul trecut, conform statisticilor Eurostat
- Salariul mediu net si brut lunar pe economie - evolutie istorica intre in anii 1991 - 2016, conform datelor Institutului de Statistica (INS)
- ECB: Insights into the digital transformation of the retail payments ecosystem
- ECB introductory statement on Governing Council decisions
- Speech by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Sustaining openness in a dynamic global economy
- Deciziile de politica monetara ale BCE
- Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Introductory statement to the press conference (with Q&A)
- EBA issues first binding mediation decision between the SRB and the NBR
- Asset repricing, cyber-attacks and Brexit are key risks for EU financial markets, shows ESA report
- EBA publishes its Roadmap on FinTech
- EBA launches 2018 EU-wide stress test exercise
- Opinion on the use of innovative solutions in the customer due diligence process
- Peste 80% din depozitele bancare sunt garantate
- Depozitele bancare nu intra in campania electorala
- FGDB explica modul de aplicare a procedurii de recapitalizare interna a unei banci cu depozitele negarantate ale clientilor (bail-in)
- Valoarea depozitelor garantate de FGDB a crescut cu 50 miliarde lei in ultimul an, la 221 miliarde lei in total
- FGDB aminteste ca toate conturile si depozitele din bancile romanesti sunt garantate in limita a 100.000 de euro
- IMF statement of the 2018 Article IV Mission to Romania
- Jaewoo Lee, new IMF mission chief for Romania and Bulgaria
- IMF concludes article IV consultation with Romania
- IMF statement on the stability of the banking system in Ukraine
- Global House Prices: Time to Worry Again?
- ING Bank si BERD finanteaza parcul logistic CTPark Bucharest
- EBRD hails Moldova banking breakthrough
- Banca Transilvania and EBRD become majority shareholders of Victoriabank in Moldova
- BERD devine actionar Agricover Holding
- Life satisfaction: the pursuit of happiness - EBRD study
- Federal Reserve decided to maintain the target range for the federal funds rate at 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 percent
- Federal Reserve majoreaza dobanda de referinta pentru dolar la 1,5% - 1,75%
- Federal Reserve issues FOMC statement
- A Challenging Decade and a Question for the Future (speech by Janet Yellen, The Fed chair)
- Janet Yellen speech: Financial Stability a Decade after the Onset of the Crisis
- Romania implements SME Initiative: EUR 580 m for Romanian businesses
- European Investment Bank (EIB) is lending EUR 20 million to Agricover Credit IFN
- Romania, pe ultimul loc in Europa la digitalizare
- Platile in euro vor avea aceleasi comisioane ca cele in lei, a decis Comisia Europeana
- Comisia Europeana prezinta un plan de actiune pentru tehnologiile financiare (FinTech)
- Obligatiunile Bancii Transilvania se tranzactioneaza la Bursa de Valori Bucuresti
- Obligatiunile Good Pople SA (FRU21) au debutat pe piata AeRO
- BVB avertizeaza doua firme ca nu si-au respectat obligatiile de raportare
- Raiffeisen Centrobank (RCB) a lansat produse de investitii tip warrant la BVB
- BVB a initiat procesul de fuziune cu Sibex
Nu pot sa cred!
In ciuda evidentei,mi-ar place sa nu pot sa cred! ...si totusi. Sunt client ING de cca 1 an,am ... detalii
Buna ziua,as dori sa stiu daca este corect in cazul unui credit ipotecar ,cerere de resturcturare ... detalii
Site-ul myBRDnet.ro are o eroare, pe care BRD spune ca o va rezolva, si anume aceea ca nu apare ... detalii
Am doua zile de cand sunt blocată pe această aplicatie. Este posibil? Eu platesc ca sa accesez ... detalii