Interview with Benoît Cœuré, Member of the Executive Board of the ECB
Interview with Benoît Cœuré, Member of the Executive Board of the ECB,
conducted by Francis Brochet for the EBRA newspaper group (L’Alsace, Les Dernières Nouvelles d’Alsace, Le Républicain Lorrain, L’Est Républicain, Vosges Matin, Le Bien Public, Le Journal de Saône-et-Loire, Le Progrès, Le Dauphiné Libéré and Vaucluse Matin) and published on 11 September 2015:
Can we have confidence in the growth in the euro area?
Yes. Growth has returned and the unemployment rate is falling in the euro area. We can trust in the euro to protect us in an international environment where major emerging economies are experiencing a slowdown and financial markets are very volatile. The European Central Bank is protecting growth by clearly stating that its policy of very low interest rates and its asset purchases will continue for as long as necessary. But growth is still not strong enough to create a sufficient number of jobs.
Many people see the euro area as more of a straitjacket than a form of protection…
Sharing a currency is like living under the same roof – there must be common rules. These rules, for example regarding deficit and debt reduction, do act as constraints, but they also establish collective trust, making it possible to have very low interest rates and stable prices. If a country were to free itself from these rules, it would be completely unprotected and find itself alone in the face of the volatility of global markets.
But Joseph Stiglitz, winner of the Nobel Prize for economics, recently said in this publication that the rules are too strict and that austerity kills growth…
In economics, as in politics, it’s all a matter of degree. Today, the euro area as a whole has a balanced approach to fiscal policy, and fiscal adjustment, which was necessary, is no longer hampering growth. As for France, there is still some way to go.
Greece is still in the process of adjusting. Are you concerned about the result of the elections on 20 September?
There is a fairly broad consensus among the governing parties and, I believe, the Greek people that it is in the country’s interests to remain in the euro area, and that this requires adjustment efforts. That is the rationale ofthe programme adopted in August.
Wasn’t the agreement forced on the Greek people? Did they have a choice?
It is a political agreement between the 19 Heads of State or Government of the euro area that strikes a balance between two legitimate concerns – the mandate of Mr Tsipras, who was elected on a certain programme, and the fact that this programme is partially financed by the other euro area countries and their taxpayers, who also have the right to express their point of view. The important thing is that Greece and its partners trust each other again. On this basis, there will be room for manoeuvre when it comes to adapting the programme after the elections, for example in terms of labour market reforms and tackling vested interests, provided that the objectives of the programme are met.
You talk about unemployment, but the ECB is supposedly only worried about inflation…
When inflation is weak, the best way to bring it up to the 2% objective is to support economic activity. Today, therefore, growth and employment are prerequisites for price stability. There is no contradiction.
Are the days of foolish finance over?
Not entirely. The ECB is strongly committed to financial stability. European citizens should not be subjected to the ups and downs of the financial markets. This also requires financial actors to behave in a reasonable manner and respect the rules. A lot of work has been done since the crisis to make these rules stricter and banks stronger. However, I think it is still necessary to increase the personal responsibility of financial actors. Banks’ senior managers must be accountable for the operations carried out by their teams. This is the only way to avoid certain abuses, such as the manipulation of indices for speculative purposes.
You want a more integrated euro area. This implies more sovereignty being transferred from member countries to Europe. Are people ready for this?
More integration will make Europe more effective. In a globalised world, France cannot stand alone; it is too small, regardless of its great history and many talents. But we cannot force people into this. Europe will first have to demonstrate its usefulness by creating more growth and more jobs.
But when you see the “every man for himself” approach to the migrant crisis, do you not despair of Europe?
It is true that each country’s initial reaction followed national instincts. However, coordinated efforts are now gradually being made, and they will continue to evolve. I think that this crisis, which deeply moves us all, will actually be a wake-up call that makes us realise how essential Europe really is.
Interview conducted by Francis Brochet
Source: ECB site
Adauga un comentariu
Adauga un comentariu folosind contul de Facebook
Alte stiri din categoria: Noutati BCE
Mario Draghi, President of the ECB,
Vítor Constâncio, Vice-President of the ECB,
Frankfurt am Main, 14 December 2017 INTRODUCTORY STATEMENT Ladies and gentlemen, the Vice-President and I are very pleased to welcome you to our press detalii
Sustaining openness in a dynamic global economy Speech by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB, at the Economic Policy Symposium of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, Jackson Hole, 25 August 2017 The global recovery is firming up. In some countries detalii
Decizii de politică monetară (comunicat de presa al BCE) În ședința de astăzi, Consiliul guvernatorilor BCE a hotărât ca rata dobânzii la operațiunile principale de refinanțare și ratele dobânzilor la facilitatea de creditare marginală detalii
Mario Draghi, President of the ECB, Vítor Constâncio, Vice-President of the ECB, Frankfurt am Main, 9 March 2017 Introductory statement to the press conference (with Q&A): Ladies and gentlemen, the Vice-President and I are very pleased to detalii
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2016
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2015
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2014
- Cota de piata a bancilor dupa active la finalul anului 2013, conform datelor BNR
- Topul bancilor cu cele mai mici comisioane la internet banking
- Jaewoo Lee, new IMF mission chief for Romania and Bulgaria
- IMF concludes article IV consultation with Romania
- IMF statement on the stability of the banking system in Ukraine
- Global House Prices: Time to Worry Again?
- FMI: Raport de asistenta tehnica - Imbunatatirea administrarii riscului de conformare pe care il prezinta marii contribuabili
- HSBC, by first direct and Bud, is trialling an open banking app model
- Probleme cu autorizarea platilor online cu carduri Mastercard si Maestro
- Sistemul informatic al Raiffeisen (carduri, ATM-uri, POS-uri, online banking) nu a functionat in aceasta dimineata
- UniCredit prepares for multinational roll-out of instant payments
- BCR: Program de lucru cu publicul, de Pasti
- Depozitele bancare nu intra in campania electorala
- FGDB explica modul de aplicare a procedurii de recapitalizare interna a unei banci cu depozitele negarantate ale clientilor (bail-in)
- Valoarea depozitelor garantate de FGDB a crescut cu 50 miliarde lei in ultimul an, la 221 miliarde lei in total
- FGDB aminteste ca toate conturile si depozitele din bancile romanesti sunt garantate in limita a 100.000 de euro
- EBA Risk Dashboard
- EBA Risk Dashboard confirms steady improvements in the EU banking sector but banks profitability and business model sustainability remain key challenges
- EBA report on risks and vulnerabilities in the EU banking sector
- EBA publishes a Discussion Paper on its approach to FinTech
- EBA publishes Final Guidelines on major incident reporting under PSD2
- ECB: Insights into the digital transformation of the retail payments ecosystem
- ECB introductory statement on Governing Council decisions
- Speech by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Sustaining openness in a dynamic global economy
- Deciziile de politica monetara ale BCE
- Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Introductory statement to the press conference (with Q&A)
- Federal Reserve issues FOMC statement
- A Challenging Decade and a Question for the Future (speech by Janet Yellen, The Fed chair)
- Janet Yellen speech: Financial Stability a Decade after the Onset of the Crisis
- Janet Yellen - Semiannual Monetary Policy Report to the Congress
- Federal Reserve majoreaza din nou dobanda
- Banca Transilvania and EBRD become majority shareholders of Victoriabank in Moldova
- BERD devine actionar Agricover Holding
- Life satisfaction: the pursuit of happiness - EBRD study
- EBRD is launching a new Green Economy Financing Facility in Romania
- EBRD selects a company to provide a visual analytics platform
- Cresterea economica este nesustenabila, avertizeaza economistii Bancii Transilvania
- Estimarile economice din Romania sunt modeste, in pofida conditiilor financiare bune (studiu GfK)
- National Bank of Romania could leave unchanged the key rate in 2017
- Poland: EU funds - key factor for growth next year
- BNR nu va majora dobanda pana la jumatatea anului 2017, estimeaza Garanti Bank
- Romania implements SME Initiative: EUR 580 m for Romanian businesses
- European Investment Bank (EIB) is lending EUR 20 million to Agricover Credit IFN
- Obligatiunile Good Pople SA (FRU21) au debutat pe piata AeRO
- BVB avertizeaza doua firme ca nu si-au respectat obligatiile de raportare
- Raiffeisen Centrobank (RCB) a lansat produse de investitii tip warrant la BVB
- BVB a initiat procesul de fuziune cu Sibex
- Directiva privind Serviciile de Plata (PSD)
- Hotararea Guvernului nr. 2/2018 pentru modificarea si completarea Hotararii Guvernului nr. 717/2009 privind aprobarea normelor de implementare a programului "Prima casa"
- Normele metodologice pentru aplicarea Ordonantei de urgenta a Guvernului nr. 193/2002 privind introducerea sistemelor moderne de plata
- Legea nr. 151 din 2015 privind procedura insolventei persoanelor fizice
- Legea nr. 258/2017 privind comparabilitatea comisioanelor aferente conturilor de plati, schimbarea conturilor de plati si accesul la conturile de plati cu servicii de baza
- BCR a fost reclamata la CEDO de clientii care au pierdut procesele privind clauzele abuzive din contractele de credit
- Instanta de judecata decide executarea silita a girantului unui credit, debitorul principal fiind insolvabil
- Decizia Curtii de Apel Bucuresti de anulare a Ordinului ANPC impotriva Raiffeisen Bank privind debitarea veniturilor clientilor
- Decizia Curtii de Apel Bucuresti de suspendare a deciziei Curtii de Conturi impotriva Raiffeisen Banca pentru Locuinte
- Decizia Curtii de Apel Bucuresti in procesul privind bancile pentru locuinte dintre Ministerul Dezvoltarii si Curtea de Conturi
- Statisticile cardurilor, platilor, POS-urilor si bancomatelor
- Creditele noi acordate de banci au scazut cu 13%
- Biroul de Credit: restantele populatiei la banci si IFN-uri sunt in crestere
- Rata creditelor neperformante scade in continuare
- Creditele noi acordate de banci au atins un nou record de crestere in august
- Guvernul a alocat garantii de 2 miliarde lei pentru Programul Prima Casa in 2018
- Transferul contributiilor de la angajator la angajat va avea aplicabilitate cel putin pana in anul 2020, spune Ministerul Finantelor
- Sinteza proiectului de buget pentru anul 2018 publicata de Ministerul Finantelor
- Posta vrea sa instaleze bancomate
- Guvernul isi majoreaza cheltuielile cu 500 milioane lei, iar veniturile cu 280 milioane lei, printr-o rectificare bugetara
- Numarul fimelor active din Romania, conform statisticilor Registrului Comertului
- Evolutia istorica a cresterii anuale a Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Evolutia istorica a valorii Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Transferurile de bani ale romanilor din strainatate au ajuns la 2,1 miliarde euro anul trecut, conform statisticilor Eurostat
- Salariul mediu net si brut lunar pe economie - evolutie istorica intre in anii 1991 - 2016, conform datelor Institutului de Statistica (INS)
Poprire indemnizație creștere copil si alocație.
În urma unei amenzi de circulatie luată si achitata in 2011 m-am trezit azi cu o poprire pe ... detalii
OTP Bank percepe comision de 0,1% dar nu mai putin de 10 euro + 15 euro SWIFT. Astfel pentru o ... detalii
Buna ziua as dori sa stiu sodul din contul meu din ... detalii
ce se intampla ,daca am intarziat,am incercat sa depun dosar sa beneficiez de lege,dar mi-a fost ... detalii
Am corectat, multumim pentru ... detalii