European Commission progress report on Romania under the Cooperation and Verification Mechanism
European Commission - Press release
European Commission´s progress report on Romania under the Cooperation and Verification Mechanism
Strasbourg, 13 November 2018
European Commission´s progress report on Romania under the Cooperation and Verification Mechanism
The European Commission adopted today its latest report on developments in Romania to meet its commitments on judicial reform and the fight against corruption, in the context of the Cooperation and Verification Mechanism (CVM).
Today´s report takes stock of the situation since November 2017. It notes that while Romania has taken some steps to implement the final 12 recommendations issued by the Commission in January 2017, in order to fulfil the CVM benchmarks, recent developments have reversed the course of progress and called into question the positive assessment made back in January 2017. This applies notably to judicial independence, judicial reform and tackling high-level corruption. Therefore, today´s report also sets out a number of additional recommendations for immediate follow up.
First Vice-President Frans Timmermans said: "I regret that Romania has not only stalled its reform process, but also re-opened and backtracked on issues where progress was made over the past 10 years. It is essential that Romania gets back on track immediately in the fight against corruption and also ensures an independent judiciary. This is the only way how Romania can resume its path towards the conclusion of the CVM process, in the interest of its citizens, its country, and the EU as a whole."
Over the twelve months since the report in November 2017, Romania has taken some steps to implement the recommendations set out in the January 2017 report. However, the assessment of the January 2017 report was always conditioned on the avoidance of negative steps calling into question the progress made in the past 10 years. The entry into force of the amended justice laws, the pressure on judicial independence in general and on the National Anti-Corruption Directorate (DNA) in particular, and other steps undermining the fight against corruption have reversed or called into question the irreversibility of progress. The Commission also noted broader factors beyond the CVM´s scope, but clearly having an impact on the advance of judicial reform and the fight against corruption. In this respect, the report notes that free and pluralistic media play an important role in holding the actions of those in power to account, for example in bringing potential cases of corruption to light.
As a result, the 12 recommendations set out in the January 2017 report are no longer sufficient to meet the orientation given by President Jean-Claude Juncker when he started his term of office to close the CVM under this Commission´s mandate. The report therefore sets out eight additional recommendations to remedy the current situation. This will require the key institutions of Romania to demonstrate a strong commitment to judicial independence and the fight against corruption as indispensable cornerstones, and to restore the capacity of national checks and balances to act when there is a risk of a backwards step. To remedy the situation the following measures are recommended:
1. Justice laws:
Suspend immediately the implementation of the Justice laws and subsequent Emergency Ordinances.
Revise the Justice laws taking fully into account the recommendations under the CVM and issued by the Venice Commission and the Council of Europe´s Group of States Against Corruption GRECO.
2. Appointments/dismissals within judiciary:
Suspend immediately all ongoing appointments and dismissal procedures for senior prosecutors.
Relaunch a process to appoint a Chief prosecutor of the DNA with proven experience in the prosecution of corruption crimes and with a clear mandate for the DNA to continue to conduct professional, independent and non-partisan investigations of corruption.
The Superior Council of Magistracy to appoint immediately an interim team for the management of the Judicial Inspection and within three months to appoint through a competition a new management team in the Inspection.
Respect negative opinions from the Superior Council on appointments or dismissals of prosecutors at managerial posts, until such time as a new legislative framework is in place in accordance with recommendation 1 from January 2017.
3. Criminal Codes
Freeze the entry into force of the changes to the Criminal Code and Criminal Procedure Code.
Reopen the revision of the Criminal Code and Criminal Procedure Code taking fully into account the need for compatibility with EU law and international anti-corruption instruments, as well as the recommendations under the CVM and the Venice Commission opinion.
The Commission will continue to follow closely and will assess the situation before the end of this Commission´s mandate. The immediate implementation of the additional measures is essential to put the reform process back on track and resume the path towards the conclusion of the CVM as set out in the January 2017 report.
On 1 January 2007, the Commission established the Cooperation and Verification Mechanism to assess progress against the commitments made by Romania in the areas of judicial reform and the fight against corruption. Since 2007, the Commission has reported on progress in these areas on a regular basis in written reports to the European Parliament and Council. The reports have benefitted from contacts with Member States, civil society, international organisations, independent experts and a variety of other sources. The Commission´s conclusions and the methodology of the CVM have consistently enjoyed the strong support of the Council of Ministers in Council Conclusions following each report.
The CVM report of January 2017 took stock of 10 years of the CVM, with an overview of the achievements and the remaining challenges, and set out the key remaining steps needed to achieve the CVM´s objectives. The Commission made 12 recommendations that, if met by Romania, could be considered as sufficient to close the CVM, unless other developments were to clearly reverse the course of progress. The January report also highlighted that the speed of the process would depend on how quickly Romania will be able to fulfil the recommendations in an irreversible way. A first assessment in November last year noted that while progress in meeting some recommendations was advancing well, the overall reform momentum in the course of 2017 was lost, slowing down the fulfilment of the remaining recommendations, and with the risk of re-opening issues which the January 2017 report had considered as fulfilled. Challenges to and questioning judicial independence have also been a persistent source of concern.
This report is complemented by a staff working document which sets out the Commission´s detailed analysis, drawing on continuous dialogue between the Romanian authorities and the Commission services.
Adauga un comentariu
Adauga un comentariu folosind contul de Facebook
Alte stiri din categoria: ENGLISH
The euro, Europe´s common currency, turns 20 on 1 January 2019. Exactly 20 years ago, on 1 January 1999, 11 EU countries launched a common currency, the euro, and introduced a shared monetary policy under the European Central Bank. The historic moment was a milestone on a journey detalii
European Commission - Press release European Commission´s progress report on Romania under the Cooperation and Verification Mechanism Strasbourg, 13 November 2018 European Commission´s progress report on Romania under the Cooperation and detalii
IMF Staff Concludes Visit to Romania (press realease): End-of-Mission press releases include statements of IMF staff teams that convey preliminary findings after a visit to a country. The views expressed in this statement are those of the IMF staff and do not necessarily represent the detalii
By 2030, 80 percent of heritage financial services firms will go out of business, become commoditized or exist only formally but not competing effectively, according to a Gartner statement. These firms will struggle for relevance as global digital platforms, fintech companies and other detalii
Luminita Cioaca, Deputy General Manager, CFO
Ocupa functia de director general adjunct la ... vezi profil
- Asociatia Pietelor Financiare respinge acuzatiile de manipulare a ROBOR de catre banci
- ROBOR-ul reactioneaza la restrictiile de creditare ale BNR
- Roborul profita de Isarescu
- ROBOR la 6 luni - evolutie istorica
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2017
- Topul bancilor cu cele mai mici comisioane la contul curent cu card si online banking
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2016
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2015
- Topul bancilor dupa active in 2014
- BNR propune Parlamentului plafonarea dobanzilor la creditele bancilor intre 1,5 si 4 ori peste DAE medie, in functie de tipul creditului; in cazul IFN-urilor, plafonarea dobanzilor nu se justifica
- Legile privind plafonarea dobanzilor la credite si a datoriilor preluate de firmele de recuperare se discuta in Parlament (actualizat)
- Legea privind plafonarea dobanzilor la credite nu a fost inclusa pe ordinea de zi a comisiilor din Camera Deputatilor
- Senatorul Zamfir, despre plafonarea dobanzilor la credite: numai bou-i consecvent!
- Parlamentul dezbate marti legile de plafonare a dobanzilor la credite si a datoriilor cesionate de banci firmelor de recuperare (actualizat)
- Creditele noi acordate de banci au crescut in februarie, dupa cinci luni consecutive de scadere
- Numarul restantierilor din Biroul de Credit urca la cel mai ridicat nivel din ultimele sase luni
- Cate credite noi in euro au acordat bancile in 2017
- Statisticile creditelor acordate de banci populatiei (decembrie 2017)
- Statisticile creditelor acordate de banci firmelor (decembrie 2017)
- OUG 51 din 1997 actualizata privind operatiunile de leasing
- Ordonanta de urgenta nr. 99/2006 privind institutiile de credit si adecvarea capitalului, cu modificari si completari
- Ordonanta de Guvern nr. 21/1992 privind protectia consumatorilor (versiune actualizata)
- Regulament BNR privind institutiile emitente de moneda electronica
- Ordonanta de Urgenta (OUG) nr. 50 din 2010 privind contractele de credit pentru consumatori, actualizata
- PIB-urile Ungariei si Poloniei au crescut mult mai mult decat cel al Romaniei in 2018
- Inflatia din Cehia a crescut la 2,5%
- Cursul euro/leu intr-o noua zona de variatie
- BNR: Ritmul anual de crestere a volumului productiei industriale a incetinit
- BNR si-a atins tinta de inflatie in 2018
- BRD retrage din oferta cecurile in valuta si operatiunile prin contact center
- IBAN-urile Bancpost se vor schimba in IBAN-uri Banca Transilvania de la 1 ianuarie 2019
- Alpha Bank isi inchide sucursalele si aplicatia de online banking la ora 14 si le deschide abia luni, la 8
- OTP Bank isi anunta clientii ca trebuie sa-si actualizeze datele personale pana in 5 decembrie, altfel banca le va bloca conturile si cardurile
- Banca Transilvania inventeaza POS-uri in forma de cutii de donatii
- Ministerul Finantelor spune ca este in plan cu necesarul de finantare pentru 2018, de 72 miliarde lei
- Termenul de depunere a declaratiei unice a fost prelungit pana la 31 iulie
- Romanii au cumparat titluri de stat Centenar in valoare de 786 milioane lei
- Populatia poate cumpara titluri de stat cu dobanda de 5%, de la Trezorerii sau Posta
- Titlurile de stat pentru populatie prin Programul Tezaur se vor distribui si prin Posta Romana
- Intrebari frecvente despre Biroul de Credit
- Lista bancilor si IFN-urilor care-si raporteaza clientii la Biroul de Credit
- Cum pot fi sters din Biroul de Credit?
- Clauze abuzive in contractele de credit ale Piraeus Bank (decizie definitiva a judecatorilor)
- Se rejudeca un proces privind clauzele abuzive din contractele de credit ale BCR, la sesizarea ANPC
- Libra Bank pierde procesul cu ANSPDCP in care a contestat amenda primita pentru raportarea ilegala a clientilor la Biroul de Credit
- Decizia Curtii de Apel Bucuresti in procesul dintre Asociatia Parakletos si bancile care au acordat credite in franci elvetieni
- Raiffeisen Bank pierde procesul cu ANPC privind comisioanele la retragerile de numerar de pe cardurile de credit
- Enel vrea sa-si treaca clientii pe piata libera
- Oamenii reclama ca nu pot cumpara titluri de stat Centenar la Posta prin transfer bancar sau card, ci doar cu numerar
- Vodafone si Orange, amendate de ANCOM pentru ca si-au suprataxat clientii pentru convorbirile roaming in strainatate
- Ministerul Finantelor anunta ca introduce Declaratia Unica pentru persoanele fizice care realizeaza venituri din activitati economice sau alte categorii de venituri
- Ministerul Finantelor a imprumutat 2 miliarde euro de pe pietele internationale
- Pretul caselor, in scadere cu 0,7%, conform Eurostat
- Numarul fimelor active din Romania, conform statisticilor Registrului Comertului
- Evolutia istorica a cresterii anuale a Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Evolutia istorica a valorii Produsului Intern Brut (PIB), conform datelor Institutului National de Statistica (INS)
- Transferurile de bani ale romanilor din strainatate au ajuns la 2,1 miliarde euro anul trecut, conform statisticilor Eurostat
- ECB: Insights into the digital transformation of the retail payments ecosystem
- ECB introductory statement on Governing Council decisions
- Speech by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Sustaining openness in a dynamic global economy
- Deciziile de politica monetara ale BCE
- Mario Draghi, President of the ECB: Introductory statement to the press conference (with Q&A)
- EBA publishes 2018 EU-wide stress test results
- EBA launches 2018 EU-wide transparency exercise
- EBA issues first binding mediation decision between the SRB and the NBR
- Asset repricing, cyber-attacks and Brexit are key risks for EU financial markets, shows ESA report
- EBA publishes its Roadmap on FinTech
- Peste 80% din depozitele bancare sunt garantate
- Depozitele bancare nu intra in campania electorala
- FGDB explica modul de aplicare a procedurii de recapitalizare interna a unei banci cu depozitele negarantate ale clientilor (bail-in)
- Valoarea depozitelor garantate de FGDB a crescut cu 50 miliarde lei in ultimul an, la 221 miliarde lei in total
- FGDB aminteste ca toate conturile si depozitele din bancile romanesti sunt garantate in limita a 100.000 de euro
- FMI: majorarea salariilor din sectorul public si legea pensiilor ar trebui reevaluate
- IMF statement of the 2018 Article IV Mission to Romania
- Jaewoo Lee, new IMF mission chief for Romania and Bulgaria
- IMF concludes article IV consultation with Romania
- IMF statement on the stability of the banking system in Ukraine
- BERD dezvaluie cat a platit pe actiunile Piraeus Bank
- ING Bank si BERD finanteaza parcul logistic CTPark Bucharest
- EBRD hails Moldova banking breakthrough
- Banca Transilvania and EBRD become majority shareholders of Victoriabank in Moldova
- BERD devine actionar Agricover Holding
- Federal Reserve urca dobanda la 2,25%
- Federal Reserve decided to maintain the target range for the federal funds rate at 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 percent
- Federal Reserve majoreaza dobanda de referinta pentru dolar la 1,5% - 1,75%
- Federal Reserve issues FOMC statement
- A Challenging Decade and a Question for the Future (speech by Janet Yellen, The Fed chair)
- Romania implements SME Initiative: EUR 580 m for Romanian businesses
- European Investment Bank (EIB) is lending EUR 20 million to Agricover Credit IFN
- Aplicatia Home Bank a ING a avut din nou probleme de functionare
- Probleme la Unicredit cu functionarea aplicatiilor de mobile banking si online banking
- Cardul de masa BT poate fi inregistrat in BT Pay, pentru platile cu telefonul
- BCR a lansat noua platforma de online banking, George
- BBVA ofera open banking
- State aid: Commission refers Romania to Court for failure to recover illegal aid worth up to €92 million
- Comisia Europeana publica raportul privind progresele inregistrate de Romania in cadrul mecanismului de cooperare si de verificare (MCV)
- Infringements: Commission refers Greece, Ireland and Romania to the Court of Justice for not implementing anti-money laundering rules
- Council of the European Union statement on Bulgaria path towards ERM II participation
- Romania, pe ultimul loc in Europa la digitalizare
- Obligatiunile Bancii Transilvania se tranzactioneaza la Bursa de Valori Bucuresti
- Obligatiunile Good Pople SA (FRU21) au debutat pe piata AeRO
- BVB avertizeaza doua firme ca nu si-au respectat obligatiile de raportare
- Raiffeisen Centrobank (RCB) a lansat produse de investitii tip warrant la BVB
- BVB a initiat procesul de fuziune cu Sibex
adidas tubular ... detalii
men nike air max ... detalii
femmes nike free run 3 ... detalii
nike air presto ... detalii
kvinners nike kobe 13 ... detalii